Working on mat leave

(11 Posts)
muminmanchester Thu 13-Oct-16 19:59:01

I'm on mat leave and have another 3 months before I go back. I'm quite senior at my company but have taken a clean break while I'm off with baby as I want to give him my full attention

Anyway, today I get a call asking me to appear in court on their behalf (issue with a client) next week.

Aside from the fact that I feel woefully unprepared, I just really really don't want to do it. I know I'd get paid so it's not that I want cash for it, it just feels like starting back with the same old shit before I need to. Plus there's all the logistics of it, babysitters etc.

Do I have to do it to show willing do you think? Ugh I think I do. confused

JoJoSM2 Sat 15-Oct-16 22:18:33

Are you meant to go there as a lawyer or as a witness? If you're a lawyer and on matter or leave then I can't see why anyone would expect you to go. If it's to give evidence about sth that were involved in, then you must go as unpleasant as it is ;(

swimmerforlife Sun 16-Oct-16 11:32:10

Don't do it (unless witness), otherwise they will probably expect you to come in again for cover etc, you'll create a rod for your own back. Your on leave and thats that. They really shouldn't be asking.

If they do ask why, just say you are not prepared to leave your baby.

Note3 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:16:18

I'm now on mat leave with third baby. With my first I felt pushed into keeping in touch days and it didn't sit well with me (childcare issues, baby refused bottles, general stress that I didn't want). In hindsight I wished I'd said no as for a keeping in touch day to happen you must be agreeable and so must your employer. However i was newish in the job and felt unable to say no.

This time round I would say no if they offered or suggested a KIT day. I will be going bk on my first required day and not before. Thus us due to the same logistical headache of childcare issues. I am also now settled with my employer and know it won't affect my situation not to do a KIT.

If you are settled, have an identified role at work and feel comfortable with it all then if I was you I wouldn't hesitate to say no of I didn't want to do it. I'd sell it as a 'if I could I really would...but I can't'

Kanga59 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:06:52

I'd do it to show willing but have a pre- booked holiday excuse ready for the next time they ask

did they phone your house phone/private mobile?

NerrSnerr Sun 16-Oct-16 21:15:07

My manager tried to get me to go on training when I was on mat leave. I said an outright no, we hadn't sorted nursery so had no childcare.

carmenta Sun 16-Oct-16 21:19:12

I didn't think they were legally allowed to contact you while on maternity leave, unless under very specific circumstances. My company is incredibly paranoid about it.

And no, you shouldn't feel obligated. It's not something you want to do for a range of good reasons, and they shouldn't have asked.

muminmanchester Sun 16-Oct-16 21:20:35

Thanks all. I'm actually off the hook - it's as a witness but someone else has written the witness statement so it has to be them in court. Phew.

Still annoyed at having been asked though!

Shedoesntgetthatfromme Sun 16-Oct-16 21:48:17

If I were you I'd show willing but find that you unfortunately can't get childcare at such short notice, as baby hasn't started nursery yet and your mum's away/partner's got work commitments/yada yada..... You can't blame them for asking, but absolutely no reason to do it if you don't want to.

ceeveebee Sun 16-Oct-16 22:07:07

I got an email from our HR director asking me to come in to the office to take part in a disciplinary with a member of my team (it appeared she wasn't liking working for my maternity cover). I had twins who were 10 days old at the time!!

Poocatcherchampion Sun 16-Oct-16 22:13:42

Yep. Same situation - 3rd child. Terribly sorry can't get childcare - who wants to look after 3 under 5 for a favour.

They will get over it. They have no choice (also in senior role)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now