Employee problem

(6 Posts)
LittlePear91 Sat 08-Oct-16 11:56:52

Hi everyone,

I own a small business where we work very closely with clients (physically) and in my team of 4, there is one employee who has developed a body odour problem.

How would you address this? I feel that it needs to be addressed now; I've noticed this problem before but just the odd day here and there and because we work in small premises, assumed he was just a bit hot.

It's now got to the point where it's been every day this week and clients and his colleagues have started to comment on it to me. As far as I'm aware there are no problems at home- I know the family and I'm fairly sure of that not being the case.

I know what I should do is just speak to him about it but we've had some disciplinary issues (where we unfortunately had to issue a final warning) with this employee recently and I don't want it to come across as it being a continuation of that. He's obviously not being told off, but it's affecting his clients/our business. I just don't know how to approach it!

What would you do?

HereIAm20 Fri 14-Oct-16 16:33:39

I am afraid you may just have to bite the bullet and tell him/her straight. There are stronger deodorants such as the Sure Stick which has 48 hours protection and depending on how the talk goes possibly you could suggest trying one of those.

JoJoSM2 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:55:11

Oh dear... I thought it wasn't that bad a situation until I read about the recent final warning... However, I think that there is no two ways about it - personal hygiene is a must when you come in close contact with people. I almost wonder if he's being passive-aggressive following the final warning if he's only become smelly recently...

luckylucky24 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:22:57

I would act concerned. "I do not want to cause any embarrassment but Clients have commented on how you have started to smell unclean, is there anything wrong at home/ill health etc?"

LittlePear91 Tue 18-Oct-16 10:32:00

Thanks everyone.

Addressed it in a staff meeting on Saturday, as a 'reminder of shop conduct and our responsibilities towards clients' type of speech. Of course, not picking him out alone.

Will see how it goes this week and if there is no improvement I'll speak to him on his own.

Oh it's a nightmare- I feel awful!

HuckfromScandal Tue 18-Oct-16 10:40:40

TBH, I really hate that approach.
And I suspect your other employees will hate it too.
If he doesn't realise he smells, a "teamtslk" is not going to cut it. And then when you do have to raise it with him individually- his mortification will be compounded by knowing you have tried to address it in an open forum.

Man up and talk to him individually please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now