School coach broke my sons arm

(105 Posts)
Annie5378 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:34:36

Hi I'm looking for advice, yesterday I got a phone call from the primary school I have a son in year 5 age9 he was playing football
With the school coaches at lunch , the school coach is a semi professional
Footballer, now my son was in net and the coach there the ball so hard at him that he has broken his arm trying to catch it in goal, he's got a cast on it after waiting four hours in hospital yesterday, what do
You think I should do now with regards the school and their employed coach? Many thanks

Longlost10 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:36:22

what should you do? Nothing. Children occasionally break bones playing sport. I certainly did! the alternative is no sport- is that really what you want?

Annie5378 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:38:19

No not at all , everyone loves sports but maybe the coaches need to
Realise they are playing with children not adults , I know lots of kids break bones and if it was by another child then wouldn't bag an eye lid but it was an adult that's what it bugging me!

LIZS Wed 05-Oct-16 08:38:26

Sounds unlucky. Why are you blaming the coach though? Did he do it from the force of the ball or landing awkwardly. Hope your Ds is ok.

Redglitter Wed 05-Oct-16 08:38:57

It was an accident. These things happen. I bet the coach feels dreadful. What do you have in mind to do

Longlost10 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:39:44

it won't have been the force of the ball that broke his bone, but the angle of the arm, just plain unlucky

Rumtopf Wed 05-Oct-16 08:40:29

Nothing at all.
Children have accidents.
As long as school dealt with it properly - calling you immediately, giving him medical assistance and writing it in their accident book, as well as making sure he can return as soon as possible with minimal impact then they're doing their job.

AnyTheWiser Wed 05-Oct-16 08:40:38

He broke it playing football at school. I'm sorry to say that children break bones fairly regularly when playing. You should have had information from school that they followed procedure properly, and presumably they'll do that when you take him in and hand him over today?

Ausernotanumber Wed 05-Oct-16 08:41:12

The coach didn't break his arm. It was an accident.

Annie5378 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:41:57

It was the force of the ball that bent his wrist back and snapped , he didn't fall over

atomicpanda Wed 05-Oct-16 08:42:15

I'd do nothing as it was an accident.

Annie5378 Wed 05-Oct-16 08:42:46

I've no idea ! It was the force of the ball
That snapped his wrist/arm he didn't fall over

NerrSnerr Wed 05-Oct-16 08:42:51

It wouldn't have been the force of the throw that broke his arm, I bet it was just the angle he tried to catch it. It was an accident, I don't think there's anything you should do with the coach. These things happen with sport.

atomicpanda Wed 05-Oct-16 08:43:02

He probably caught it at an awkward angle.

nilbyname Wed 05-Oct-16 08:43:50

Unless you were there I don't think you can categorically state how the arm was broken.

Do you want to sue? Do you want him to lose his job?

treaclesoda Wed 05-Oct-16 08:43:54

By the title of the post I honestly thought you were going to say that the coach attacked him and I was thinking shock

I know it's horrible for him, but it sounds like an accident.

Ausernotanumber Wed 05-Oct-16 08:43:59

It will just have been the angle, not the force per se.

You can't blame the coach. It was an accident.

TheColonelAdoresPuffins Wed 05-Oct-16 08:44:16

I'm sure the coach will feel awful about it. If you don't want your son to risk injury maybe stop him doing sport clubs?

NerrSnerr Wed 05-Oct-16 08:44:23

Who told you it was the force of the ball? Was it the school or your son? It is much more likely he tried to catch it at a funny angle.

AnyTheWiser Wed 05-Oct-16 08:44:26

What is it that you want to happen? Are you after compensation for your son's loss of earnings? Or are you wanting the school to no longer employ coaches so that no-one else gets hurt or does sport ?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 05-Oct-16 08:44:33

I broke my shoulder getting whacked by a football once. Total freak accident, like this.

Believeitornot Wed 05-Oct-16 08:44:53

I'd have a quick work to determine if this was a freak accident and to get some reassurance.

FenellaMaxwell Wed 05-Oct-16 08:44:58

It happens - my friend once broke my fingers with a gentle throw of a tennis ball, it was just the wrong angle. Nobody's fault, can't be helped! Maybe channel your energy into organising some nice things to cheer your son up rather than wasting time being angry at the coach who really isn't at fault....

Ausernotanumber Wed 05-Oct-16 08:45:14

Oh. And yes. I think you're hinting at suing. And that would be money grabbing.

Shetland Wed 05-Oct-16 08:45:42

My dad had a similar injury in goal. It was an 8 year old that kicked the ball. I seriously doubt it was the force of the ball that broke it in his case!
Just unlucky. So long as he was cared for properly, move on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now