Getting money back from 'friend'

(9 Posts)
Kel1234 Fri 30-Sep-16 00:15:08

In November 2013, my then best friend called me in tears, saying that she was going round desperately asking people to lend her some money, so her family could pay their rent, otherwise they would be kicked out. She assured me it would only be a loan and she would pay back every penny. So I paid to travel nearly 300 miles and back to give her the money, £200, plus she said she'd pay the train fare. And she assured me I'd get it all back.
I've spoken to her several times since and each time she assured me I will get it back. (We drifted apart after she was very judgemental over my wedding and my baby, and we don't talk anymore).
However it's been nearly 2 years now, and I'm yet to receive so much as a fiver back. Plenty of times we have been short (I'm a full time student who has no income until my loan comes through, and my husband was made redundant), and struggled to pay our rent. I told her this, but she purposely ignores me.
What do I do? It's my money and she owes me? AIBU to ask for it back AGAIN?

MarklahMarklah Fri 30-Sep-16 00:27:57

Sadly, I think you can kiss goodbye to this money. I have learned from experience never to lend money you can't afford to write off.
Either she didn't need it for what she said and is embarrassed, or she doesn't have the money and is embarrassed, or she may simply just have no intention of paying you back.

VimFuego101 Fri 30-Sep-16 00:47:00

You know you're not going to get it back, and it might annoy you less if you make the decision not to chase for it any more, rather than keep asking and getting frustrated over and over again. YANBU though, obviously.

Kel1234 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:56:12

I guess I'm not. I'd say it's more the fact that she doesn't actually have the money to pay me back with. But at the same time that isn't really my issue. The problem I have is that she agreed to pay me back and hadn't

Kel1234 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:56:20

Hasn't

galaxygirl45 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:59:42

If you have proof of the loan and her intention to repay it, I guess you could try a legal way such as small claims, but in reality, I agree that you've lost that money and have learned a hard lesson from it. If someone has no money in the 1st place, they aren't going to be able to pay a loan back.

2014newme Fri 30-Sep-16 14:02:22

You won't see a penny of it. If she was someone who could pay back a loan she would have been able to get one without scrounging of friends. You were kind but misguided.

Chottie Sun 02-Oct-16 06:18:29

I agree with everyone else that you just need to write this one off. You were a good, loyal friend and helped out a mate in a tight spot out and she has abused your kindness and money.

Chalk this one up to experience and move on.........

Optimist3 Sun 02-Oct-16 06:33:44

Have you any evidence you lent her cash? Small claims court

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now