Going back to work after time off sick.

(6 Posts)
Mollmoo Mon 26-Sep-16 23:04:31

Nearly 3 months ago I was signed off by my doctor and diagnosed with depression. Tomorrow I am due to go back to work on a phased return. I think I'm feeling well enough to cope with being back in work and feel that I want to try. My issue, and what I'm worrying about tonight is facing people. I thought I was friends with my colleagues but none of them have contacted me at all while I've been off. The only contact I've had has been with my manager about returning to work and also a few work queries (which really pissed me off!!!) My husband can't believe that I never had a card or flowers or anything. Something that we always usually do for colleagues. I'm worried about feeling lonely and that they are all just being fake as clearly we aren't as close as I thought we were. I can appreciate that they may not know what to say, but I'd like to think if the shoe had been on the other foot I'd at least drop a text to say hi, hope all is ok, fancy a coffee sometime?
Am I over thinking this? WWYD?

TweeBee Mon 26-Sep-16 23:13:18

Perhaps they found it awkward to know what to say. My experience is that people find it so hard to know what to say to someone with a MH issue whereas if someone has had a hysterectomy or something it seems easier. Also they may have felt you needed a break from work and not wanted to end up talking about it in case you felt under pressure to come back too early.
Have a good day going back. I haven't done it myself but I think the first day will be the hardest and once you are there you'll be able to chat with them. blushflowers

Imnotaslimjim Mon 26-Sep-16 23:19:45

Twee is right, there is still such a taboo about MH issues, they likely didn't know what to say to you. I'm sorry you've felt abandoned during your recovery and that they've contacted you about work crap without asking how you are or if you're feeling better.

When you return tomorrow, don't shy away from the fact that you've been off with mental ill-health, it is just as debilitating as having had an operation or a broken limb.

Mollmoo Mon 26-Sep-16 23:41:44

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it. I'm sure, well I hope, that's all it was. I probably am overthinking and just a bit nervous about it all too. I think you are right Twee first day back is going to be the hardest.
You are right slimjim it's nothing to be ashamed of, which I need to keep reminding myself!
Deep breath, shoulders back, head high. I can do this! smile

TweeBee Tue 27-Sep-16 22:41:38

How was it OP?

Wellywife Tue 27-Sep-16 22:50:04

Hoping it went well for you. My penny's-worth: Your colleagues may have been told to give you space.

FWIW when my ex-manager went off work with what turned out to be terminal cancer, the Sales Director told us all not to contact him as he was coming to terms with it. He actually returned to work for a while and had been upset that nobody had contacted him...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now