School took wrong twin on cinema trip.

(10 Posts)
Lolaredingfield10 Mon 26-Sep-16 17:50:30

Name changed for this, but I feel it's slightly pointless as it's pretty identifying.

I have 8 year old identical twins and at times even I struggle to tell them apart, but this has never happened.

They have 3 classes in their year and DTwins are in separate classes.

DS2 has ASD and is awfully shy, he won't speak unless directly spoken to, isn't a fan of dark rooms and loud noises.

So I only signed the permission slip for DS1 to go on the cinema trip.

This morning, a teacher came in to each class and called out the names of those going on the trip, DS1 wasn't called out but he assumed they'd come back and call out more names.

What actually happened was, that they called out DS2's name instead and he got up and joined the rest of the kids and then got on the coach and was driven away.

About 10/15 mins later DS1 asks his teacher when are they leaving on the trip? Teachers says they've already left. DS1 tells her that he was suppose to go, she then double checks and his name wasn't on the computer system, so she calls down to the office and they find that yes, he should have been on the system as they have his permission slip but somehow DS2's name was put instead.

They phoned the teachers on the coach but it was too late to turn around, when they got there DS2 became distressed and so had to sit in the ticket lounge with a member of staff.

So in the end DS1 missed out and DS2 was upset and had to be picked up by my father.

No idea what to do now. No meeting has been offered, just apologises and lots of talk about system errors, do I just let this go? Normally they're very on the ball.

ClarkL Mon 26-Sep-16 17:52:36

As awful as it sounds the school have made a mistake and apologised. I'm not sure what more could be done?

Kr1stina Mon 26-Sep-16 17:55:35

Most unfortunate and upsetting for both children , but I'm not sure what else the school can do now except apologise and find out what went wrong.

Can the child who missed out on the treat do something else with another class ? Can you take him to see the film?

Optimist3 Mon 26-Sep-16 17:58:25

They sound very disorganised! Is this typical or a one off?

Lolaredingfield10 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:03:17

I'm just really upset, I know their's nothing else that the school can actually do, but they shouldn't have let this happen in the first place.

I know mistakes happen but I know have 2 very upset little boys and jt
Their normally

Lolaredingfield10 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:04:34

Whoops, posted too early.

They're normally very organised, at least organised enough to not let this happen.

JacquettaWoodville Mon 26-Sep-16 18:07:13

It sounds like someone typed the wrong name on the list, maybe ask them to explain how that won't happen again eg a second check?

SillySongsWithLarry Mon 26-Sep-16 18:08:28

I would be fuming. Not only have they mixed up your children and taken a child off the premises without permission, they have shown complete disregard for the safeguarding of your disabled child. My daughter is autistic and if school took her on an unsuitable trip by accident I would be livid.

meridithssister Mon 26-Sep-16 18:15:30

I agree that on the surface it looks like a simple error but it is a safeguarding issue. They took a child out of school without permission. I would want an apology and a look at how they handle permission slips for children with similar names.
I have just completed allergy and food forms for my children, if they mixed the two up there could be serious consequences . My younger child does not yet understand all the foods she cannot eat.
I'm not sure I would complain officially but I would want to make sure a review of policy was done.

Verbena37 Tue 27-Sep-16 14:17:00

This is a massive safeguarding issue and one which I would officially put in writing about.
I know they've apologised but they need to make sure that nothing like that ever happens again.

Is there some kind of unobtrusive way they can identify your twins...something they wear etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now