baby seat, front or back?

(6 Posts)
ohwhatsinausername Mon 19-Sep-16 08:43:22

Been kindly offered to join Sis on holiday but whenever I go out in the car with my children, the journeys are normally short or on any long journeys, I have sat in the back with them.

So this will be the first time driving with them on my own and the journey is about 1hr 45mins. Some of it will be motorway/A roads, which I'm quite confident with.

I'm a bit worried about DD2. She's nearly 4 months old and has a bit of a cold and I'm just worried that (even though I have a mirror facing her in the back) that I will not be able to monitor her breathing.

I think I'd feel better with her in the front with me (obviously not going to be able to see to her whilst driving but at least I could see/hear her better!) I am able to turn off my passenger airbag...but I also know they are safer in the back =(

As they can stay in car seats for 2 hours max, I was hoping to just put both DD's in car and do the journey in one as it is around the time they both sleep anyway but obviously, this depends on traffic/hold ups. Would like to avoid having to wake DD1 up half way through the journey as well, as she will likely kick off.

So if I didn't stop, I was worried about leaving her in the back on her own for so long.

WWYD? Put her in the front or back?

FruitCider Mon 19-Sep-16 08:45:04

Back. First of all, if you put them in the front, you need to turn the air bag off. Second, if your baby cries it sounds much louder and is more distracting in the front (I talk from bitter experience!)

Nan0second Mon 19-Sep-16 08:47:35

Back. Baby will be fine. Do the drive in one if you can as planned.
You can do it!

NicknameUsed Mon 19-Sep-16 08:51:23

Back. All children under 12 are not allowed in the front seat in Spain.

Info here, about two thirds of the way down.

HappyHeart87 Mon 19-Sep-16 09:16:04

Back. It's so much safer. We have a little mirror that allows me to see her in the rear view mirror, iyswim. You can get them on Amazon.

Heirhelp Mon 19-Sep-16 09:29:12

Back for reasons above. Get a really annoying CD, I have the wheels on the bus from elc and sing along with it to keep entertained.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now