Report a speeding vehicle?

(5 Posts)
MoosLikeJagger Thu 15-Sep-16 17:15:44

Walking along a street earlier today. It's clearly signposted 20 mph, in a residential area with cars parked on either side of the road. Most vehicles crawl along it because they have to stop and let others past.
Also, school had just finished and about 150 teenagers were moving out of the school grounds into the street, lots of parents doing pick ups etc.

A large van (bigger than a Transit, not a lorry) came down the street at well over 30 mph, causing other traffic to brake sharply to avoid them. I didn't get a look at the driver, I'm pretty sure I read and wrote down the registration correctly though.

Part of me wants to report to 101 - stupid twats could have killed someone - but I don't know if the police could do anything... Wwyd?

Lumpylumperson Thu 15-Sep-16 17:19:15

Yep. Report.

Sounds very dangerous. Police can give words of advice which might put the wind up the driver and make him/her think twice again.

Kids were around, it was speeding and other vehicles had to take evasive action. Report.

Zampa Thu 15-Sep-16 17:20:06

Similar situation on my road last night with a private car. Problem is, the driver could easily deny they were speeding if I reported it.

Did the van have company livery? If so I'd be naming and shaming as well as contacting the owners/customer services.

MoosLikeJagger Thu 15-Sep-16 17:33:55

Thanks folks.

I tried to call 101, got put on hold for 6 minutes and gave up because I have to go out now.

While I was waiting I googled the reg number I wrote down - which brought back either nothing (wasn't sure if one letter was a U or a V) or a silver Honda....

confused

PersianCatLady Tue 20-Sep-16 16:28:01

TBH as you can't prove that the car was going more than 20mph (even though you KNOW that is was) I doubt the police will do anything.

When I used to deal with car insurance claims, time and time again people would say that the other party was speeding and therefore it was their fault.

The thing was that the insurance company was not interested in these comments as thinking that someone was speeding is a subjective thing and without proper evidence to prove it they were not interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now