Has my neighbour stolen my buggy?

(87 Posts)
ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 15-Sep-16 09:24:55

I mentioned to my neighbour that I was planning to sell my double buggy which I no longer use.

She has two small children and expressed an interest. I was surprised because she has a double buggy but I agreed she could look at it and test to see if it would fit in the boot of her car. I brought it out to her and left her to inspect it and try fitting it in to her boot.

When I looked out of the kitchen window, I noticed she'd driven off with the buggy! shock

I made sure I was outside (on the pretext of putting rubbish in the bins) when I saw her return later and asked how she got on with trying out the buggy? She informed me she loved it and would like a second buggy to keep in her car but didn't have the money (I was asking for £50), could she pay me a fiver a week? I agreed.

This was three weeks ago. I've seen her once and asked if she could give me the first instalment but she said her husband hadn't been paid. Since then I think she's been avoiding me sad

What would you do? I'm pathetic at confronting people.

FluffyWuffyFuckYou Thu 15-Sep-16 09:26:41

Go round and take the buggy back, obviously! What else would you do?

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 15-Sep-16 09:27:21

Send her a letter asking for payment, giving her 7 days to pay up. Cheeky mare! Or speak to the police, it's theft after all. You only handed it over for her to look at, not drive off with and keep.

Amandahugandkisses Thu 15-Sep-16 09:27:50

That is unbelievably rude. You need to go over and take it back!

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Thu 15-Sep-16 09:29:50

Bloody hell - how cheeky! Ask for the buggy back, and say that you're prepared to wait, say, 2 weeks for the £50 or you'll put it on eBay

Touchacat Thu 15-Sep-16 09:33:14

I think you'll have to take a deep breath and confront her. I can't believe she just drove off with it! I would say that it's obvious that she can't afford it (maybe in a nicer way) and could you please have it back. I know that's not easy but she can't just take it. You'll be forever annoyed with yourself if you don't pluck up the courage to confront her. Do it!
Best of luck.

nolly3 Thu 15-Sep-16 09:38:37

Just say you've found another buyer so can you have it back

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 15-Sep-16 09:39:24

Thanks, you're all right of course, I need to get a grip of myself and ask for it back. My heart's pounding just thinking about it. I hope it doesn't turn into a row. I have visions of trying to wrestle it back off her, she's quite a strong looking woman.
I'm wondering if posting her a note might be easier as suggested by Watching.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Thu 15-Sep-16 09:41:37

She will ignore the note. Ask for it back or write it off

SoupDragon Thu 15-Sep-16 09:44:03

Tell her you need it back as someone else is willing to pay you the £50.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 15-Sep-16 09:45:01

Right she's back now so I'm going over there. <gulp>
Will update.

gamerchick Thu 15-Sep-16 09:45:55

Knock, tell her you have another buyer for the buggy with money upfront and have come to collect it. Take someone with you if you have to.

Come on lass she's taking the piss and hopes you'll just go away.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 15-Sep-16 10:10:36

Well that didn't go too badly, although I didn't actually get the buggy back blush.

She apologised and gave me £10 towards what she owes me and has said her husband will give me a free haircut in his local salon. I've agreed even though I hate having my haircut. grin

I've withheld the raincover and drinks holder anyway so she won't be getting that yet and I don't think I'll send her a Christmas card this year.

sparechange Thu 15-Sep-16 10:19:24

Is the haircut payment for the buggy, or as an apology for not paying..?

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 15-Sep-16 10:22:19

Does that mean you'll get the rest of the money plus haircut, or is the haircut instead of the rest of the money?? hmm

YoureaFlutteringCunt Thu 15-Sep-16 10:26:39

I hope the haircut is on top on the remaining £40.

Tbh I would have refused the £10 and asked for the pram.

You do know you will have to chase her up for every single £5 installment.

Not worth the hassle.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 15-Sep-16 10:28:44

The hair cut will cover the rest of the cost of the buggy. I agreed to that I'm afraid. Obviously, I'm a fool with Mug written on my forehead but at least it's something. hmm
Must get more assertive.

YoureaFlutteringCunt Thu 15-Sep-16 10:45:34

Yes but you didn't advertise 'buggy. Will swap for haircut.' You wanted to sell it hmm

This woman has brass balls.

PurplePidjin Thu 15-Sep-16 10:47:20

Rock up on a Saturday morning with the whole family "Right, we're here for our haircuts, who do you want to do first"

PinkSquash Thu 15-Sep-16 10:48:44

I'd go in and insist on a cut and colour rather than just a cut, it's not any cheekier than what they've offered. Play their game and make it infinitely more expensive than you originally charged wink

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Thu 15-Sep-16 10:50:57

FFS.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 15-Sep-16 10:51:15

Very tempting Purple My children could all do with a proper haircut. grin

Yes, I've never encountered brass balls like it, Fluttering.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 15-Sep-16 10:54:01

I've always fancied highlights instead of dumping Nice and Easy ash blonde on my head. Might be worth a try.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 15-Sep-16 10:59:13

She's a canny one isn't she hmm

So they're getting something worth £50 for £10 and whatever the 'at cost' cost of a haircut is without profit.

I wonder if he'll have the cheek to hint at wanting a tip as well...

mycatstares Thu 15-Sep-16 11:08:07

I don't think I'll send her a Christmas card this year.
That's brilliantgrin. I don't think I'd send her one eitherwink!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now