Lent family items and want them back.

(6 Posts)
blueistheonlycolourwefeel Mon 15-Aug-16 14:12:10

So, I was asked at short notice to lend a family member some household linen about 18 months ago.
I lent 3 items to them and said I would like them back, which they agreed to.
I have asked for the items back a couple of times and nothing has happened.
I asked yesterday and was told they would drop the items off.
They were dropped off today when I was at work, and although they have returned 3 items to me, these are not the items I lent them and are of poorer quality than the ones I let them borrow.
So, do I tell them the items are not the ones they borrowed? Or do let it go and secretly be pissed off and never lend them anything again?

MrsHathaway Mon 15-Aug-16 14:31:42

Do you think they genuinely didn't remember? eg it was a single white fitted sheet and two white pillowcases and they don't notice/appreciate quality and just gave you the nearest in the linen cupboard.

Or do you think they're pulling a fast one?

I'm a chicken so would suck it up and/or buy replacements in due course.

LMGTFY Mon 15-Aug-16 14:34:36

Send them a message saying "you've dropped the wrong ones off, I'll pop round and swap them later".

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Mon 15-Aug-16 16:16:24

Yeah, I texted and said thanks for the items but they're not the ones I lent you. The ones I lent you were this that and the other. Sorry to sound petty but they were very good quality.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Mon 15-Aug-16 17:50:19

I've had a reply saying that I can go round and look for them myself within the piles of other things!

daverave Tue 16-Aug-16 01:31:30

My motto with family and friends never lend anything that you will actually miss or want back! In your case I'd say it in a joking but direct way " what happened to the one I lent you this looks like it came from a red cross sale rail? "

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now