Grandma help needed

(8 Posts)
FirstTimerAtBeingAMummy Wed 27-Jul-16 20:56:36

happy little girl, always smiling for me and her Dad. She is our only child. My problem is that whenever she goes to my mother, her Grandma, she just starts screaming crying. I don't know what it is or why! She sees her every week sometimes 4 or 5 times but it's not getting any better. My mom is meant to be looking after my DD when I go back to work in December...... I'm dreading it. DD isn't like it with anyone else. Does anyone have any advice or tips that I could try to try and help stop this?
Thanks in advance

MidnightVelvettheSixth Thu 28-Jul-16 17:44:30

Is it when you leave her at the grandma's she gets upset? Or are you there all the time as well?

How old is she, is she able to speak?

FirstTimerAtBeingAMummy Thu 28-Jul-16 17:54:28

I'm there too. We can be there for hours at a time but as soon as grandma picks her up she just cries.

DD is almost 15 weeks. She's not able to speak.

wombattoo Thu 28-Jul-16 17:58:09

My brother used to have very frizzy hair (think big afro) and a relative's baby used to cry every time he went near. Could it be something like that?

Cheerybigbottom Thu 28-Jul-16 18:10:00

Oh don't worry my son was like this too and it lasted to just under a year old. He would cry whenever nana or uncle held him (uncle spitting image of nana) and however unreasonable it felt nana never took it personally. We still laugh about it and he's 4 now and nanas best buddy grin

MidnightVelvettheSixth Thu 28-Jul-16 18:19:39

In that case I'd imagine its something like strong perfume, as someone said unexpected hair smile or a different way of holding. Maybe even that your mum does that thing of swaying/bouncing or makes some motion that she doesn't like.

Pay close attention to your mum's movements & see if there's a trigger, does it look like its a visible or a movement thing for example smile

Danglyweed Thu 28-Jul-16 18:25:00

My middle dd was like this with my mum until she was about 3, absolutely no idea why, dm is perfectly harmless and nice. If the dd's were away at my parents for the weekend, would spend the first half hour or so crying in the car, she wouldn't speak, would only whisper in her big sisters ear if she wanted anything.

Liskee Sun 11-Sep-16 08:39:11

A friends baby used to do this with me! We eventually concluded that it was because I was a smoker (at the time, I'm reformed now!) Although I never smoked around her, it seemed like the smell really disturbed this baby!

Not saying smoker, but perfume?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now