Is the cleaner taking the piss or not very good?

(12 Posts)
RosieandJim89 Mon 25-Jul-16 18:54:59

We got a new cleaner last week. She comes through an agency. Last week we asked for a "deep clean" and said we would pay for however long it took.
She didn't really do a deep clean just a normal clean and it wasn't great.
She didn't clean the grouting in the shower, there was still toothpaste in one of the bathrooms, there was (and still is) a stain on the living room floor just by the tv unit and those were just normal cleaning issues. Nothing I would consider deep cleaning such as skirting or windows had been done.
We gave her the benefit of the doubt and decided to give her some direction this week in case the "deep clean" was too vague. I left her a list of things to do in order, next to the cleaning equipment, with her money on top of it so I knew she wouldn't miss it.
The thing is, DH has that app that tells you when the door has been opened and according to that she turned up 2 hours later than she should have and only stayed for one of the two hours she was paid for.
The cleaning shows this too. She hasn't cleaned the shower, the bannister or mirror (top of the list I gave), she hasn't mopped but has swept the living room and many surfaces have been wiped but there are still dirt marks that haven't been cleaned off.
The most annoying this is that I wrote at the bottom "leave the kitchen" and she has wiped down the kitchen, unloaded and loaded our dishwasher and turned the half-loaded dishwasher on!!
I don't get it! We won't be having her back but I cannot decide f she was taking the piss or cannot read instructions? (Her note she left suggests she may have dyslexia) Either way does not excuse the fact we paid her for 2 hours and she only did one.
Would you sack off the agency or just ask for someone else? We have never used them before but will tell them either way about the cleaner.

Buggers Mon 25-Jul-16 18:58:48

What note did she leave you? I'd say she's possibly dyslexic but she was still slacking on the work.

blue2014 Mon 25-Jul-16 18:59:48

If she turned up late and left early she's taking the piss. I'm dyslexic, I may struggle to read sometimes but I still get my job done!

Tell the agency, in my experience that will tell you it its just her or a general problem in the agency from how they react to your complaint

RosieandJim89 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:03:22

Her note said "thanks for the money, please can I have some toilet cleaner for next week".
We will definitely tell the agency, DH is saying he is not using them again.

Bettytrain Mon 25-Jul-16 19:06:16

Cleaners love emptying and loading dishwasher and wiping kitchen counters - in my experience as its the easiest stuff to do but takes ages. These are the jobs I always ask them not to do as my kitchen is usually the cleanest room I just get then to do floor and front of cupboards. As for the time she didn't work, I would speak to the agency and tell them you don't want her. To be fair she may not want the job either...maybe she has travel issues or timing issues and the agency are not interested.

venys Mon 25-Jul-16 19:09:39

Many agency cleaners don't speak English very well and often won't understand written instructions. (Or like you said could have some kind of dyslexia). It's fine if you want the same type of clean each week. Talk to the agency, they might come out and "translate". But my hunch if she hasnt worked the full 2 hours now, I would get rid of her.

RosieandJim89 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:11:07

I specifically asked her not to do the kitchen. I really don't get it!
She gets here on a motorbike so travel should be fine. I do know she has a 10 month old so timings could be an issue but I would happily have overlooked that if it hadn't been for everything else.

Dozer Mon 25-Jul-16 19:13:54

Doesn't matter too much why she did a bad job twice: she did, so you don't want her back. If the agency has previously sent decent cleaners, and/or it's hard to find someone else yourselves, I'd just ask them to send someone else.

RosieandJim89 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:15:49

I met her last week, she is English.

NickNacks Mon 25-Jul-16 19:23:50

Why does taht bote indicate dyslexia?

NickNacks Mon 25-Jul-16 19:24:35

Hahaha
Sorry!

Why does that note indicate dyslexia?

RosieandJim89 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:30:15

It is the spacing and handwriting that indicates dyslexia. I work in a college teaching functional skills so not an expert but I know the signs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now