Baby shower

(3 Posts)
Shezza71 Fri 15-Jul-16 19:54:12

Hi, fairly new to mumsnet and never started a thread so not sure if I'm in the place, anyway, going to a good friends baby shower tomorrow, never been to one before. The hostess is doing a bake off theme, as friend is looking to start her own cake business after baby has arrived, so we've all been asked to bring a cake, no problem I made that today. Then had a sudden thought of an actual present, I've not bought one, are you meant to give a gift? If so I'm assuming it's a gift for baby.
What's the etiquette here and any ideas???

NeedaDiscoNap Fri 15-Jul-16 20:00:14

My friends have had a spate of babies recently. We usually do small gifts for the baby (e.g. at the last one I gave a gift bag with a bath toy, socks, scratch mitts, book, toy bunny and dress) and we usually make up a box/hamper of treats for the mum - e.g. favourite toiletries, foot spray, chocolate, face masks, book etc. We usually do some kind of voucher too - for a spa or shop (we all contribute a tenner).

Can you get in touch with the organiser and see what the general vibe is? I have been to other showers where people gave 'big' presents.

Shezza71 Fri 15-Jul-16 22:21:35

Thanks. The sudden realisation that I should probably take a gift came way too late. Think I may go with a gift card so she can choose something she needs when baby has arrived, and maybe some chocs for mum to be, although with all the cake being made she probably won't want any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now