Would you move schools

(6 Posts)
Maplessglobe Thu 30-Jun-16 11:14:05

Ok, without outing myself.

DC1 (already at school) has been offered a WL place at a tiny one form entry school 5 min walk away. Apparently lovely, tight-knot community (pros and cons, I know). DC1 would know some people there from activities.

The school currently attended is about 20 mins walk away. Big school, 4 form entry. DC1 pretty happy, small friendship group but plays with everyone. Quite a quiet child. I would've said no to a move outright - but there are problems at current school that have only become apparent in the last few months. Possible leadership issues, lots of staff leaving, lack of money. Seems to be a taut atmosphere. I have great friends there.

2 further DCs so I'm making a decision for them as well. DC2 due to start in reception this year (lovely teachers) but doesn't turn 4 till the very end of summer so could wait a while till compulsory school age. In fact, I was trying to defer entry but seem to be failing in that mission.

would you not rock the boat, take the risk of no school place for dc2? So confused... confused

Daisyandbabies Thu 30-Jun-16 14:13:48

Isn't it almost a given that siblings will get in? Not set in stone but most likely, especially being so close. I'd move him

SunnySomer Thu 30-Jun-16 14:21:44

From what you've said, I would move him too.

Maplessglobe Thu 30-Jun-16 16:10:47

Thank you. The issue with dc2 is that it's a bit of a gamble that a place would come up for an in year admission. And it is also a school where it's not unheard of to have siblings not get in, I guess because it's so small.

Maplessglobe Thu 30-Jun-16 16:14:28

I should also say that the current school has been historically v good- the kind of school people move to get into. And dc1 doing fine academically as well

Maplessglobe Thu 30-Jun-16 19:41:35

Hmmmm.... Wondering if I should have posted in 'primary ed'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now