Should I carry on breastfeeding?

(9 Posts)
Maria1243 Mon 27-Jun-16 13:54:43

I knew I wanted to breast feed and I did from when my DS was born
He was tongue tied though and didn't feed well, when he reached about 5 weeks he lost too much weight so they said I had to put him on formula but I could put him back to breastfeeding once he gained

He's now coming up to 3 months and all though I've been breastfeeding as well as bottle through out, but it's come to a point where he just won't take my breast/ I don't think I'm producing enough milk so I have to give in to a screaming baby and give him a bottle
I've tried expressing and it's not working

Is there a way to salvage my breastfeeding, has anyone had the same experience? Do I just give up and resort to bottle feeding or is there a way to produce more milk so I can just breast feed alone? I don't want to give up, I was planning to BF for a year but if I can't do anything should I just give up now?

Babymouse Mon 27-Jun-16 13:58:57

Have you contacted a lactation consultant (ibclc) yet? Or is there a breast feeding support group in your area? It sounds like you need support and reassurance - both of which you can get from women who have been there as well. flowers

Diddlydokey Mon 27-Jun-16 13:59:23

If you don't want to give up then try the LLL? Or a breastfeeding councillor/lactation consultant?

They used to do drop in clinics at my local NCT bumps, babies and beyond and sure start centres when my DS was a baby,

I don't know how much of a response you'll get here but you can try in infant feeding as there are people who will be able to give you BF advice.

I suspect it would be to have a few days in bed with lots of skin to skin to encourage BFing and limiting the formula as much as possible but I'm not sure

Maria1243 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:10:12

I've asked my health visitor and she just says his latch is fine and doesn't say anything else
I try really hard to not bottle and BF but he screams and I physically put him to my boob where the boob is in his mouth he won't stop crying
There's a BF clinic down the road but Ive been there, but I've got agraphobia which I'm receiving treatment for and I'm just not ready to venture out on my own, and they're only sessions is when I have no one to come with me

Diddlydokey Mon 27-Jun-16 15:13:30

www.laleche.org.uk/telephone-helpline/

Please try and call them

dylsmimi Mon 27-Jun-16 15:15:28

Can you ring the bf clinic and explaim the situation and see if they would come out to you?
Are there any peer support breastfeeding support that will often come out to you

Maria1243 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:51:49

I've tried contacting my local BF clinic the lady wasn't sure if they can do home visits so she's checking but she said she doesn't think they do

Maria1243 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:53:06

How can I contact a lactation consultant?

Thank you all for advice btw

Babymouse Wed 29-Jun-16 19:38:33

Try here: www.lcgb.org/find-an-ibclc/

or here: www.laleche.org.uk/find-lll-support-group/

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now