Did i do the right thing??

(7 Posts)
ladyackles88 Tue 21-Jun-16 18:21:38

This is my first post on here so bare with me. Basically, i work at the local school as a lunchtime supervisor (my kids attend the same school). I met a mum there whilst on the school run- my ds and her dd are in nursery together. She instantly became very full on and over time started inviting herself to my house and stuff, which was fine. She seemed harmless enough. Over time she told me alot of personal information. Too much to be honest, i told her i dont need to know, its none of my business etc. Til she made it my business - she told me she was in a violent relationship. But, there was a court order in place where she wasnt even meant to see him other than handing over her daughter to him once a fortnight. Any contact than that and they're breaching the order. Well she turned up at my house a few weeks ago in a state with her dd. Telling me they had been out as a family and he had flipped. She seemed petrified. Her dd was angry and scared. Police were called and that was that. I told her if she took him back after this she is choosing him over their dd. Well withing days theyre back together. I took made a very difficult decision to express my concerns to the school and was told i needed to call first reponse. I did. And now social services are involved ( they already were as she already has children in care for the same reason)
I feel bad, i do. Im now receiving threats galore and long, flithy looks across the yard at school - even when im at work! Now, with me working in school, i was sort of obliged to act anyway. But if i didnt work at school i Would still have made the call. That little girl is being put at risk by her parents. Did i do the right thing iyo?

(There is alot of other info but i wont share - ive kept it short)!

Tiggeryoubastard Tue 21-Jun-16 18:23:18

Definitely. No more to say.

RaeSkywalker Tue 21-Jun-16 18:25:38

You did the right thing to protect a child. I'm really sorry that you're suffering now but this is so, so much better than the guilt you'd feel if anything went wrong, aside from any implications for your job.

MooPointCowsOpinion Tue 21-Jun-16 18:28:10

Yes. You did.

Poor child. Poor woman. Arsehole man.

I work in a school too, and I take my duty of care very seriously. It's not far off being a crime for teachers not to disclose this kind of information, and I see non-teaching staff as an extension of us.

ladyackles88 Tue 21-Jun-16 18:31:12

I feel bad coming here to vent, but shes making my life quite difficult now. I did what i had to do. Im training to be a teaching assistant too, and obviously have had my safe gaurding training. She knew this and i gave her fair warning that if i felt the need i would do what i needed to do. Its just the backlash i wasnt prepapred for. My ds came home today and told me that her dd wont talk to him (my kids are totally unaware of whats going on). I feel so bad for him

Tiggeryoubastard Tue 21-Jun-16 18:34:25

Poor child, yes. Not poor woman. She's choosing to treat you in this ridiculous way. If it gets to you, seek advice from work. You did the right thing.

ladyackles88 Tue 21-Jun-16 18:39:27

ive gone as far as having to get the police to go see her, because of things that have been said. They have told me it is harassment and have given her a warning but its made no difference. Dont get me wrong, i have broad shoulders and can deal with harsh words and dirty looks lol. But being told that i am being followed everywhere i go angry when i have two kids myself i wont put up with it. Im so glad you all agree with me,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now