Friend cancelled wedding

(5 Posts)
Meltingrocks Fri 17-Jun-16 20:29:32

Hi

Last month, a friend cancelled her weddung that was due to take place this summer. This is obviously a stressful and upsetting time for her, and I don't want to make it any worse.

The problem is I am getting married this summer, close to her booked wedding date. My problem is: do I mention my wedding? I usually would mention bits and pieces e.g. if someone asked what I had been doing at the weekend I might mention plans I had made (I do usually only mention the wedding if I'm directly asked, although not all the time). I obviously wouldn't start a conversation about the wedding to only her, but what should I do if someone else brings it up when she's around? At the moment, it feels like I'm treading on eggshells.

KateLivesInEngland Fri 17-Jun-16 20:36:00

Just try to be as tactful as possible I guess! Try not to rub her nose in it but If she's a reasonable human being she'll understand. If I was her I'd probably take myself away from the conversation if it turned to weddings anyway but I wouldn't expect my friend not to be excited and want to talk about it.

MajesticWhine Fri 17-Jun-16 20:47:39

It might be weird if you don't mention it at all. If she is a good friend you could be honest and say it's a but awkward and you're worried about how she feels.

IlikeCluedo Fri 17-Jun-16 20:56:02

I would try and be as tactful as possible. Maybe if someone else asks you could try and keep your answers short and change the subject a bit.
If she's a good friend then she should understand that some wedding talk is unavoidable.

LexieSinclair Fri 17-Jun-16 21:10:11

You need to mention it. I have been in your friend's position and I hated having my friend avoid all wedding talk around me. I just wanted our conversations to be normal IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now