School holidays

(9 Posts)
Chewingcloth Fri 10-Jun-16 15:31:51

I've been working for a small business for a couple of months now with 6 employees. It states in our contract that we cannot take two consecutive weeks holiday which is fair enough but I have recently been told no two members of staff are allowed to have time off together. I had a look at the holiday rota and the whole of August has been booked up and I have been told sorry that's just the way it is. I have a 12 year old ds and am now unable to spend any time with him or my husband during the school summer holidays and will now have to rely on my parents and my husband to look after him. What hurts the most is all the other members of staff are all younger single and child free and don't seem to give a stuff that my summer is now knackered. My boss is older and in a same sex marriage so no kids there either. I honestly don't know what to do sad

Waltermittythesequel Fri 10-Jun-16 15:35:57

What hurts the most is all the other members of staff are all younger single and child free and don't seem to give a stuff that my summer is now knackered. My boss is older and in a same sex marriage so no kids there either

Sorry but I don't see why they should be worried about your summer! Just because they don't have dc or husbands??

Surely you could have booked some time off in august if you'd booked earlier?

Disappointing but not really their problems.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Fri 10-Jun-16 15:48:41

Last week of August? First week of September?

You've been there a few weeks so it was prob all booked up when you started!

KateLivesInEngland Fri 10-Jun-16 15:55:06

Is their anyone who possibly might swap? Not a lot you can do otherwise, unfortunately. Apart from booking a week for summer 2017 now so you can plan ahead for next year!

The not consecutive weeks thing is a ballache, most of the people I know do a fortnight summer holiday!

lljkk Fri 10-Jun-16 16:01:29

Have you signed up for any other school holidays you want off in next 12 months or whatever time period is now available to book? That would be my first concern, don't miss out again.
Have you asked any colleagues if there's still a chance to swap?
Else learn the lesson for next yr to sign up early, I guess.

PurpleDaisies Fri 10-Jun-16 16:04:20

What hurts the most is all the other members of staff are all younger single and child free and don't seem to give a stuff that my summer is now knackered

As a child free person this is totally out of order. I can understand that you're upset at not being able to take off the time you wanted but everyone has as much right as anyone else to request certain dates off. My husband is a teacher and we'd never get any time off together if people with children had priority for holidays.

Chewingcloth Fri 10-Jun-16 16:31:06

Oh gosh I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend people just feeling a bit hormonal and emotional.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Fri 10-Jun-16 16:32:02

I think your company's holiday policy is really stingy, OP. Are you a full time employee?

Chewingcloth Fri 10-Jun-16 21:16:52

Part time 28 hours during the week then every other weekend I do 6 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now