new job?

(6 Posts)
Racheyg Thu 09-Jun-16 14:41:03

Have been at my existing job for 13 years and I really enjoy the role (although can sometimes be full on) I work 3 days a week, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. My commute is about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs each way by train and tube.

In my 13 years I've had two children. I've been back 3 months after 10 months mat leave. I'm 33. Oh does bath and ready for bed with dcs when I'm at work and finds it very stressful.

I have had a interview for a job closer to home, (so I can help with bath and bed), but working more days and the money is less I also feel I will be taking a step down the career ladder. Also dcs will have an extra day in nursery.

On the plus side I won't be far from home and oh will be happier.

I'm not sure what to do? Anyone got advice.

mangocoveredlamb Thu 09-Jun-16 14:44:07

I work 3 long and two short days, I don't really feel that the shorts days are advent divisional I thought they'd be in terms of spending time with DD, as the afternoon/evenings are still quite short.

Also check your companies maternity policy as at my work there are rules about leaving and having to pay back mat pay. (OMP not SMP)

andadietcoke Thu 09-Jun-16 14:51:50

I work away from home three days a week. On those days my parents and PiL help, and DH does a lot. It means I can do my dream job and I love it. Thursday and Friday I work from home. I do nursery drop off and pick up and I do a lot. As I do at the weekend.

So it's a balance. However, I always said that I would only do it as long as everyone was happy.

Does your DH not see it as a similar balance? Ie sharing the main care half a week each? If so, then I'd stick with the job you have or look for something that's offers more progression. But then I'm quite career-oriented...

dlwelly Thu 09-Jun-16 14:52:19

If I was you I'd stay where I am.

Is it going to be a big drop in income if its going to be less money you're earning and you need to pay for more childcare?

I work 2 short days and 2 long days and they aren't much difference in terms of quality time with DC. I think you'd miss your extra 2 days together.

Is your husband getting stressed at bedtime the only reason? I know it's hard on your own but your youngest is still so little, it will get easier as they get older (hopefully!) for him.

Racheyg Thu 09-Jun-16 15:01:22

I don't have to pay back smp as I only got the government funded one.

I just feel bad for him as I know how hard it is and in a ideal world I would live closer to work.

Maybe I will try and out weigh the pros and cons again?'

peoplepleaser70 Fri 10-Jun-16 10:54:58

I work the same days as you with a similar commute. And 2 dcs. I would like a job closer to home but I do love my job, plus wouldn't want to take a pay cut OR work more days. The commute doesn't really bother me, and I don't think it would make a HUGE difference being closer to home. I take the commute time to wind down on the way home and it enables me to fully switch off from work when I'm home. Does your DH do bath /bed on all 3 of those days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now