to address the splatter or not?

(6 Posts)
Cupcakeannie77 Wed 18-May-16 20:38:37

I need some help with a confrontational situation I know is imminent. We have a decorator in who has done the kitchen and dining room in same paint colours and hall stairs and landing in new colour wall paper. She's a lovely lady and extremely efficient and generally very tidy. However I've got home from work today (late as work in A&E) to find lots of paint splatter on my floor.
We moved to this house 6 years ago and painted the above rooms and then laid floor after so obviously no splatter. AIBU to expect no splatter? Or that it be cleaned? I've gone round and brushed floor tonight and had a scrape at quite a bit but to be honest it's all I can see. Even DH noticed so it must be obvious. We've not paid yet and I don't know how to broach the subject. I even supplied two huge dust covers! Truth is I know what will happen is I'll pay, say thanks for great job then spend weekend cleaning splatters. I do this every time be it bad food in restaurant or poor customer service I just smile politely and make do. Please help me grow some balls and not just let it go!!!

MoonlightandMusic Wed 18-May-16 23:08:43

YANBU at all to expect no splatter.

If she's as professional as she sounds, then she'll probably clean up the splatters as part of the final tidy-up, but do mention it rather than assume she'll notice. Think of it from her perspective - she's proud of her work, and wants you to be too - but she can't fix something she's not told about and, from a small business perspective, it's not fair not to give her the opportunity to.

I know our painter is always very clear that he'd prefer we point out anything that we're not happy with, particularly as, from spending days looking at the detailed finish, he gets a bit 'paint blind' to anything else.

TBF, we've only had to ask him back once, but he arranged a time immediately and fixed the problem (few drips dried on the stair spindles). As a result he's now our 'go to' painter and we're happy to recommend (he still repeats his 'please let me know/paint blind' mantra each time mind you...)grin

Cupcakeannie77 Thu 19-May-16 22:02:59

Thanks! You've actually used the phrase 'paint blind' which she said herself tonight so I'm more confident that A. She'll sort splatter and B. I feel I can point it out. I'll let you know know tomorrow! Thank you smile

Shakirawannabe Fri 20-May-16 05:47:02

Ask her if she's going to clean it off.
White spirit on a cloth and it will come straight off, I did it at the weekend and got quite a few splatters and it just wiped of the wooden floor hth

MoonlightandMusic Fri 20-May-16 12:55:22

Good luck! grin

Guiltypleasures001 Fri 20-May-16 13:06:16

A professional decorator would have their own dust sheets, what was she going to use otherwise.
Before using white spirit check it's ok for your floor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now