I feel like I've annoyed my friend

(10 Posts)
Woodenmouse Wed 11-May-16 11:36:40

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place but I need some perspective!

Yesterday I took my 2.5yo toba baby group we attend with a very good friend. Normally ds1 and her dd (also 2.5) are great friends normally. However we had had a busy weekend and ds was probably overtired (in hindsight I probably shouldn't have taken him out) he started snatching things off his friend which I told him off for. He then responded by pushing her over so I told him off again. He then took a dislike to another girl there and pushed her over again I told him off and tried to keep him away from her. He then went round being aweful to all the other children. I told him off again and he had a massive meltdown. He is not normally like this at all so I think it was due to tiredness and also having to deal with changes (new baby annd starting playgroup). My friend stayed away from us for the whole session. We ended up leaving early as ds was obviously unhappy and I felt that I was being judged by everyone in the room.
I'm supposed to be going out for coffee with my friend after I pick ds up from playgroup in a minute. However he will be tired from playgroup and I really don't want a repeat of yesterday. Part of me wants to cancel and have a chilled out afternoon with dc but I feel my friend is annoyed with me because of how ds treated her dd and I don't want to annoy her more by cancelling on her. Wwy
Sorry for the long post!!

BlueMoonRising Sun 15-May-16 09:26:35

Sorry to see you got no reply in time. I would probably cancel saying that DS is out of sorts and it wouldn't be fair on them. I might even suggest that I think he might be coming down with something (which would potentially explain his previous behaviour) even if it was a bit of a fib.

What did you do in the end?

Branleuse Sun 15-May-16 09:32:08

cancel on her. You dont need friends that go all judgy and ignore you as soon as your child is a pain. All children are a pain sometimes

Chippednailvarnishing Sun 15-May-16 09:34:30

The OP posted a few days ago, it's a bit late to cancel!

neolara Sun 15-May-16 09:34:30

I would explain that you don't want a repeat of the other day, apologise and cancel.

Buggers Sun 15-May-16 09:34:44

Don't worry about it to much. It's an awful age for things like that and majority of toddlers do it at some point. His only little so you get away with it, be prepared for when he turns 3 as somehow the tantrums get worsegrin

ChicRock Sun 15-May-16 09:36:45

I think you should cancel the cheque grin.

Hope that whatever you did, it's turned out OK.

wheretoyougonow Sun 15-May-16 09:37:22

Speaking as a mum who has a been in your position, I say do exactly what is best for you and your son. If that means a quieter afternoon then do it. I know it feels difficult to let people down but if she is a true friend she will understand. The fact she avoided you does make me question how supportive she is anyway.
Also don't feel bad. Nearly all toddlers do this and when her daughter does perhaps she will realise how she made you feel.
Good luck and enjoy your day flowers

DoreenLethal Sun 15-May-16 09:40:32

meltdown

Tantrum. Not meltdown.

Woodenmouse Mon 16-May-16 18:17:27

Thanks everyone. We didn't go in the end. I felt it wasn't fair on ds. We had an afternoon of cuddles on the sofa instead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now