Wwyd if DP poured a coffee on you (lighthearted)

(24 Posts)
hopscotchhopper Wed 27-Apr-16 22:11:02

Just sat watching TV and DP randomly asks 'what would you do if I just poured this cup of coffee on you?' I answered I would leave him as why would I want to be with someone who poured a coffee on me for no apparent reason, he is gobsmacked! I then said I think a lot of people would agree with me so he told me to ask Mumsnet. So what would you do? I'll just add I know he is 100% joking and would never do it and we have no issues in our relationship, this just got me thinking though!

LineyReborn Wed 27-Apr-16 22:15:23

That's quite a knobby thing to ask, though.

LexieSinclair Wed 27-Apr-16 22:19:44

Yeah why would you ask that.

hopscotchhopper Wed 27-Apr-16 22:21:58

Oh I should have added it was related to what we were watching on TV!

DoreenLethal Wed 27-Apr-16 22:23:16

But just because things happen on TV doesn't mean you have to enact them at home.

hobybabo Wed 27-Apr-16 22:25:12

confused

I wouldn't even know where to begin with that. I would imagine if he just did it out of nowhere, no preceeding argument or anything I would be worried that he was unwell, rather than leaving him. If we were arguing and he did it.. Well I'm not sure really. I wouldn't take it lying down that's for sure.

But to ask isn't funny, I don't see how it's a joke?

ImperialBlether Wed 27-Apr-16 22:32:57

If he did it deliberately, I'd leave, yes. Why would anyone want to stay with a knobber who chucks coffee over them?

ChicRock Wed 27-Apr-16 22:35:55

If my husband just randomly poured a cup of coffee over me confused I'd probably think he had a brain tumour or was having some kind of mental health crisis something.

What an odd thing to ask though.

sizeofalentil Wed 27-Apr-16 22:40:27

I'm with you on this OP - I think it's a funny rather than a weird discussion.

I wouldn't leave him but he'd need to have a very good reason why he did it. Maybe if I was on fire or there was a very large spider on me I'd be ok with it.

It also depends on whether or not the coffee was hot or cold. Or mine or his, really.

LineyReborn Wed 27-Apr-16 22:45:17

It's not 'random' if it's related to something you're watching on tv, is it?

That's a specific reference to something going on in front of you.

<sigh>

Sorry it's been a long day.

steppemum Wed 27-Apr-16 22:49:44

everyone is very serious tonight!

I get it, person on the programme you are watching does something like this and you turn to dp and say what would you do if I did that?

It depends on the context, if it was in argument, then to me is equivalent to being hit. If in middle of food fight, well, fair game grin

Whatamuckingfuddle Wed 27-Apr-16 22:53:58

I'm with you op. I would consider it DV if DH poured coffee on me for no reason. I might also get the kettle and pour the rest of the hot water over him to teach him a lesson.

Lovelydiscusfish Wed 27-Apr-16 23:14:20

Well, dh and dd seemingly think it is hilarious to splash cold, dirty, fly-ridden water from her paddling-pool on to me, at the slightest opportunity. (They are not being hypocritical - they are both soaking at least 50 per cent of the time, these days).
Given this, I would be pleased that the coffee at least had a pleasing fragrance, was warm, and did not contain decomposing fauna.
Obviously, in the real world, I would be surprised, potentially to the extent of l.ing t b'

whatnoww Wed 27-Apr-16 23:18:42

Wow a lot of harsh responses on here! Would probably be something I would say to DH.

I would be very unhappy if it was hot coffee, could probably forgive cold. actually i hate coffee and the smell so maybe I'd be massively pissed off if he did either. I'm massively overthinking this, it's never going to happen.

Fun topic of conversation tho OP grin

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Wed 27-Apr-16 23:20:35

I don't think it's that strange a conversation to have if it's related to something on the TV.

I'd probably ask him what the fuck he was doing. I'd assume is was one of those weird impulse control things, like when people get the urge to lick raw chicken, or that he was having some kind of breakdown.

hopscotchhopper Thu 28-Apr-16 07:06:53

I'm glad some people saw the lighthearted side!!

chelle792 Thu 28-Apr-16 07:11:37

My dh poured a mug of coffee on the dog the other day, my poor boy. In fairness, it was an accident and dh has his coffee half hot water, half cold it's disgusting!!

TheSolitaryBoojum Thu 28-Apr-16 07:14:20

We don't have coffee in the house, so he'd have to have acquired it On Purpose.
Just to pour on me.
Bastard.

hopscotchhopper Thu 28-Apr-16 07:21:23

Whether it would be hot/warm/cold I'm not sure actually, he didn't go into that much detail but I would be annoyed either way as the smell makes me feel ill

BigGreenOlives Thu 28-Apr-16 07:38:06

My dog nudged me & spilled coffee all over me, where do I stand?

Lifeisontheup2 Thu 28-Apr-16 07:41:38

My dog hurled his ball at me and it plopped neatly into my glass of wine spilling it over me, should I rehome him? He wasn't even sorry grin

hopscotchhopper Thu 28-Apr-16 07:57:07

Ofc if it was accidental anyone, dog or human would be off the hook, but I would hope nobody's dog would do it intentionally shock

chelle792 Thu 28-Apr-16 08:26:28

My dog does!! He puts his nose under your cup and nudges. We have to warn guests to move their mugs out of the way. I've been scalded more than once by this move!

Dachshund Thu 28-Apr-16 08:29:06

I'd pour mine on him straight back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now