Work colleague

(5 Posts)
mytimewillcome Thu 14-Apr-16 18:44:10

I work in a very small team. There are only 3 of us and I am the second most senior and I have been there a number of years. I have a fairly new colleague who I think isn't paid very much. I sit next to her so I can see her computer screen. I've noticed that she doesn't do anywhere as much work as me and my manager (we have a system where it's obvious what work has been done) and I realise that is because she is on messenger a lot of the day or looking at her phone. She has just been given a pay rise. I haven't. I have had a problem with childcare so have had to do shorter weeks and so have not been in the office as much but I am still doing 3 days a week as opposed to my normal 4 and getting all my work done. Now I have an appraisal next week and I am incensed that someone who does so little work has got a pay rise but I am wondering if I should mention it in my appraisal. I am quite friendly with her and so feel it would be very two faced of me but I feel that this is an injustice. What shall I do?

ivykaty44 Thu 14-Apr-16 18:47:16

Concentrate on your own work in your own appraisal, if you want a pay rise state why you believe you should be paid more money.

If you have a grevence with a colleague then raise a grevence, but an appraisal isn't the time or place to do this.

HoppingForward Thu 14-Apr-16 18:57:55

Don't do it during your appraisal. It's a separate issue.

Who does she report to? Can you delegate work to her when she isn't proactive enough to do it herself busy?

mytimewillcome Thu 14-Apr-16 20:02:42

I can delegate work to her but I'm not her manager. Ok good advice. Don't mention it in my appraisal. Should I mention it to my manager anyway? He must realise surely.

HoppingForward Thu 14-Apr-16 20:09:45

If you are quite friendly with her could you not just call her out on it? "Heeellooo? Could you do some work and get off messenger please"

Or message her grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now