Take kids to Canada alone?

(22 Posts)
Daisyandbabies Wed 06-Apr-16 09:22:03

Hi everyone,
So my husband is being sent away to work abroad for 5 weeks. The kids and I can't go...I have a 20 month old and a recently turned 4 year old. We have 0 family here and no best friends who would help.

I have the opportunity to take the kids to Canada for 4 weeks, on my own, to stay with my parents. 9 hour 30 min flight. 8 hour time difference. Would be extremely disruptive for the kids and the flights are freaking me out (mainly because of my tornado of a 1 year old, my 4 year old will be fine). I would have help and company in Canada, obviously.

What would you do?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 06-Apr-16 09:29:31

I would go.

Put plans in place to entertain kids on the flight. Then once you've gritted your teeth and done that, you can relax for four weeks. Much easier than staying by yourself at home.

Voteforpedr0 Wed 06-Apr-16 09:36:40

I would go, you'll survive on the flight with snacks, some new inexpensive toys (that they've not seen before) and films to watch. Once your there you'd have your parents support and the kids would have a wonderful time exploring new surroundings, just think it you stayed home your husband would be away and you probably wishd you'd gone. Enjoy

Fourarmsv2 Wed 06-Apr-16 09:42:04

The journey might be hellish but you'll manage and for that duration of trip it's worth it.

I did similar (Cornwall -> London -> Cyprus - Cornwall to London leg took longer than the flight and was harder as he was BF so I had to stop for feeds) with my two from 6w onwards. They were 0 and 2 the first time.

DessertOrDesert Wed 06-Apr-16 10:10:52

Would / could your parents come to you?
Personally, I find being at home easier than being away with the kids, but I understand if you want help over that time frame.

WoodleyPixie Wed 06-Apr-16 10:16:52

I would do it. I have taken the dc to America on my own a few times, so the flight a bit shorter at 8 hours ish. I just took plenty of activities and snacks that wouldn't turn them into loonatics, also tried to get flights for night time so they would sleep for fair bit of it.

Somerville Wed 06-Apr-16 10:24:20

I would go too. Canada's a great place to visit with DC.

And much better for the DC to have the distraction of GP's, they'll miss their dad less.

But choose the flight time that suits you best, rather than the cheapest option. I found overnight flights worked best when mine were toddlers.

sianihedgehog Wed 06-Apr-16 10:25:43

Definitely go!

Daisyandbabies Wed 06-Apr-16 11:26:14

Thanks everyone! I'm very tempted, just need to stop overthinking it! People have said they will help here but it's one of those, 'I'm here if you need any help' but when it comes down to it, they're busy with their own lives. Found it really hard to cope when he was away for 2 weeks last time and got very run down and lonely.
Not sure how my 1 year old is going to cope on the flight....she screamed for 2 hours straight on a flight we took a few months ago!!!

FloraFox Wed 06-Apr-16 11:34:38

I've made a similar trip with similar ages several times. Try to take an evening flight so the kids will sleep. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Five weeks on your own is a long time.

tharsheblows Wed 06-Apr-16 11:41:15

If you go to Canada on your own, make sure to take something from the other parent saying it's ok for you to travel on your own. They always give me grief and it's annoying to deal with after the flight. Last time I think they asked if my letter was notarised! They've never not let me in though.

We've also had trouble with them asking if we were emigrating. Like they can't imagine someone traveling into Calgary to go on a holiday. hmm

I made similar trips when my kids were the same ages. The trip can be a pain but it's worth it for the help. Good luck!

Fourarmsv2 Thu 07-Apr-16 20:08:30

Could DH fly out with you for a short break first?

lljkk Thu 07-Apr-16 20:21:44

I have done it! To west coast USA. I think I had flu one leg of the journey, even. The flight attendants minded my 22 month old some of the time, that can happen on a night flight. Grit your teeth. You can do it.

Daisyandbabies Thu 07-Apr-16 21:13:38

Thanks everyone!
Unfortunately, family can't come here to help and my husband can't fly either leg with us either.
Think I'm gonna be brave and do it! X

Voteforpedr0 Fri 08-Apr-16 10:32:53

Good for you, glad you've decided to go for it and your older one will talk about their special adventure to Canada for years to come. Have a great time.

biddy53 Fri 08-Apr-16 10:46:07

I used to do long haul flights when DC were small. Dummies or lollipops are good for helping to equalise the pressure in their ears particularly during take off and landing. Take lots of snacks, lots of new toys, more nappies/milk than you think you'll need in case of delays, suitable films and headphones if they don't have individual TVs on the flightt and change of clothes for everyone - speaking from bitter experience of having to sit in vomit stained clothes after DD vomited on me early in a flight.

If you're LO cried all flight it might be worth getting their ears checked. Only time DD did this she had an ear infection.

Carriemac Fri 08-Apr-16 10:48:08

go . its a day out of your life and then you will be there. I did this flight with 2 year old twins and a four year old alone. twas fine

Daisyandbabies Fri 08-Apr-16 20:47:23

Carriemac, you are amazing!
Thanks for the advice, ladies, it was what I needed to give me that push to go.

Thanks for the tip on lollipops and checking ears before going too...typically, my son has been crying with an ear ache all evening and often gets ear infections. Why to kids always get ill on Friday evenings when the doctors are shut sad

mzmum78 Fri 06-May-16 03:50:57

Do it! Am an ex pat in Toronto and have taken the kids back on my own several times. Its not something I relish but is always worse in theory than practise !!
And it will be SO worth it !

Daisyandbabies Fri 06-May-16 09:05:23

Going Monday, mzmum!

smileyhappypeople Thu 12-May-16 13:31:26

I'd say go.... I'd also say do not overpack! Take 1 case if you can and one back pack or other easy to carry bag for hand luggage.
Your 4 year old will probably be content watching the seat back TVs and then you will only have 1 year old to deal with.
Also, if possible, book a seat on the plane for your 1 year old.... Think it will definitely be worth the cost!

cestlavielife Thu 12-May-16 13:33:31

go!
try out different antihistamines eg piriton see if they help your one year old sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now