Moment of madness re neighbour...cringe.

(15 Posts)
vichill Sat 19-Mar-16 19:12:01

I've been out all day and dh was looking after dd. This afternoon they were playing on the garden and he noticed a load of fag butts that had been chucked over the fence into our garden. Next door's elderly father smokes and logistically it can only be him. Husband was livid, scooped them all up then went round to confront. Nobody in so in a moment of madness posted them through the letter box. On ok terms with them. Few minor issues but nothing serious. I'm mortified and even though I agree pretty shit of the dad think dh overreacted. He is quite contrite. Would you go round to apologise?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 19-Mar-16 19:13:46

No. They're his fag butts. 'Spensive. You gave them back.

No biggie.

RoseDeWittBukater Sat 19-Mar-16 19:14:03

Fuck that! Have they apologised for throwing fag butts in your garden? I'd be fucking fuming!!

PovertyPain Sat 19-Mar-16 19:19:06

Your DH did exactly the right thing. I'm dreading the summer as my dick head neighbours will be encouraging their brat child to throw all sorts over my fence, such as: broken toys, sweet wrappers, branches (that he rips out of the shared hedge), chicken bones and chewing gum, to name a few. I've decided to save every thing that comes over the hedge, this summer, and at the end of summer, pour the whole lot back over. grin Well, it's not my property and I wouldn't like to be accused of theft! wink

wonkylampshade Sat 19-Mar-16 19:21:36

shock, your DH has balls! But I also think it was worse to have thrown them over into your garden in the first place.

Posting them through the letterbox is the kind of thing I'd have dreamed of doing but never have dared do in reality!

PovertyPain Sat 19-Mar-16 19:22:50

Bty, if he comes complaining to your door, just look at him innocently and say "butts? We don't smoke. Where ever would they have came from? Why would anyone do that?" He's going to have a hard time explaining why he threw them into your garden in the first place, if he wants to complain. What's he going to say? "How dare you put the cigarette butts that I threw into your garden through my door!"

lljkk Sat 19-Mar-16 19:32:36

No way should he apologise.

vichill Sat 19-Mar-16 19:39:08

Thank you. I'm the archetypal apologetic Brit so my reactions can't be trusted.

acatcalledjohn Sat 19-Mar-16 19:40:05

Yeah...that's bad form on your neighbours' part. Poverty is spot on. They'd admit guilt if they did complain to you. Why would you apologise for returning their property?

RudeElf Sat 19-Mar-16 19:42:32

Ive never understood the type of people who chuck stuff over their neighbour's fence. I mean, do they think that once its out of their garden it disappears? Do they not realise a) it still exists and their neighbour will have to dispose of it and b) their neighbour will know it was them!! Stupid idiots.

And yes your DH is brave. But well done him.

lamiashiro Sat 19-Mar-16 19:55:01

No, I would absolutely not apologise. If anyone should be apologising, it's your neighbour for throwing his fag butts into your garden! I smoke in our garden and I wouldn't dream of throwing the butts over the fence.

Well done to your DH and if your neighbour kicks off, do not say sorry!

ExitPursuedByABear Sat 19-Mar-16 19:57:48

What fag butts?

<innocent face>

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 19-Mar-16 20:00:04

Mmmm I want a fag now.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sat 19-Mar-16 20:05:33

If you feel it's most likely the NDN's elderly father and not the NDNs then I think you need a conversation just so you keep on reasonable terms. The elderly DF might not be fully aware and they might be mortified if they knew.

DH isn't wrong to be really angry, but could've been smarter and planned for better long term relations between you and next door.

DowntonDiva Sat 19-Mar-16 20:32:44

I've done something similar. I lived in the ground floor and spent hours cleaning up butts in my garden. Only to come home and find a small collection that had appeared from that day. So livid I stuck them to a piece of paper and wrote THIS IS FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE!!! on it and posted it through my neighbours letter box. Once the heat of the rage wore off I sat stressing about a confrontation with the neighbour when they got home but they never did say anything. Not my finest hour but the point was made...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now