Dog being abused/potentially dangerous owner?

(8 Posts)
raycstory Wed 02-Mar-16 13:02:15

Hi there,

I've been overhearing this dog in the apartment block opposite me whining constantly for hours on end, as well as hearing the male owner scream at it loudly and sometimes I think kick and maul it from the sounds of the yelps. It had been going on for quite a while, but stopped recently because the police have been stationed outside of the house for a week due to a murder in the apartments of a young women.

After the police left it started up again - I tried to ring the RSPCA but couldn't get through. This morning the whining had been going on for hours again and next minute I know the guy has the dog outside in the yard and is screaming at it to come back inside. A few minutes later I hear this almighty ruckus and I look through my window and I see what looks like the man attacking, punching and biting the dog. In a panic and not thinking sensibly, I bang on my window and shout 'I see you'!!!!!

The man stops and I quickly close the curtain, but he opens his window and starts shouting at me. I know I've done the worst thing possible because if I get through to the RSPCA or ring the police, he will know who did it. I'm frightened because we live in a spot in the town where there are a lot of dodgy characters and police call outs and this man in particular seems very violent and unstable.

My OH is away at work for weeks at a time and now I really don't know what to do and I'm afraid to leave the house. The man in question I don't think works and so is home a lot.

What would other people do?

Kayl93x Sat 05-Mar-16 17:44:06

I'd report it.. I couldn't have it on my conscience to not report it knowing what I had seen

sammy1991 Fri 25-Mar-16 00:41:04

I can understand ur fears here.
But if it was a child would u hesitate?
I'm a firm believer in pets being as important as humans. Although a lot do not agree.
But this time with you I jnderstand you have your safety at risk. Is there anyway you can explain your concern for this dog but express that you could be in a serious danger if they cannot hide who told.
On other hand is there anyway you can get the dog from the backyard when he isn't looking? Wrong way to go about it. But I have previous experience on dealing with animal abusers. Unfortunately I wasn't able to save my shadow. But maybe you can save this dog.

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 25-Mar-16 00:53:41

Think about how you would feel if you find out he's killed the dog, then use that to help you decide whether to keep trying the RSPCA.
I would ring.

SaggingTits Fri 25-Mar-16 01:01:44

I understand the being scared and living in a rough area but you have to do something. Please report it, and record it if you can. That poor dog sad

MissBeaHaving Fri 25-Mar-16 09:54:30

Please report him,keep trying with the rspca or even ring the non emergency police line for help,they may have advice on who you can contact for your area.
No animal should be treated like this,poor dog.sad

Chorltonswheelies422 Fri 25-Mar-16 09:58:22

Please report immediately - I reported to the police non emergency number a dog in a similar situation - the police were fantastic and called me to give me an update on what action they had taken. It is completely anonymous. Please help that poor dog

NattyNatural Thu 31-Mar-16 23:41:15

This is urgent, if you can't get through to the rspca then call the police

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now