I'm starting to feel physical pain because I am so starved of decent conversation

(4 Posts)
Lonelypain Sun 28-Feb-16 13:44:08

Hello,

I am having bad time at the moment as have no money, and this has meant no friends. I know some people, but I never feel like I've had a good expansive escapist conversation with them, just boring conversations about tedious things in life

At work, the people I work with are nice, but dull too. Last night I was desperate for good conversation, tried to go out on my own. All the conversation was boring. I long for being able to chat but people seem always to think I am 'really' talking about something else, or criticise Any ideas rather than let it flow.

How can I deal with this?sad

FrozenPonds Sun 28-Feb-16 13:50:25

What do you think constitutes interesting conversation?

If you have special interests, you obviously need to seek out like minded people.

Getting all intense and deep with someone you've jus met in a pub is likely to bore them half to death.

You need to get to know people, and stop thinking of the 'getting to know you' phase as being somehow beneath you.

What do you do for a living? Is it something academic or creative, where you would expect to be amongst colleagues with similar interests?

thebiscuitindustry Sun 28-Feb-16 20:59:31

Can you join some groups that don't cost anything? How about taking a look at Meetup.com?

puppydogmummy Fri 04-Mar-16 09:29:32

One of the best things I've done in a long time is join the local book club! Ok not all books are to my liking but I find the chat generally veers away from book onto all sorts of stuff. The other members are mostly older retired folk, but honestly the fun we have! Give something like that a go I think . Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now