My hairs ruined!

(18 Posts)
amandalk91 Thu 18-Feb-16 14:46:11

I recently tried to go from like a light brown to blonde so I needed a lightened on my hair first of all. Tried to go over this is a blonde however and it's turned a horrible yellow colour sad I'm so gutted about it, I was meant to go to work later. What can I do about it? I can't really afford to go to a pro

TropicalIcyCooler Thu 18-Feb-16 14:51:25

Come and join MrsGloss&TheGoss over on FB and they'll help you

ClassicMonkey Fri 19-Feb-16 09:12:02

You could put a light ash brown on the top? Have you used any sort of toner or is this straight from bleach?

mmmmmmmmmmcake Fri 19-Feb-16 09:17:16

Yes to ash blonde.
In the future use purple shampoo/ silver shampoo. You can buy conditioner too. It takes the horrible tones out of your hair.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 19-Feb-16 09:28:55

Don't worry that looks salvageable, I've seen far worse!
If you're in the UK, head to Boots and get hold of a purple toner. The best I think is Lee Stafford, bleach blonde purple shampoo. It's £7 but works brilliantly to turn yellow brassy tones to platinum blonde. There are also bleach blonde hot shot sachets which are good.

I suggest applying it to towel dried hair concentrating on roots and mid lengths, use a decent amount and leave for 10 mins. Rinse and condition.

If you can't get hold of this, try Superdrug own Shader and toner in ash blonde. These are dirt cheap but v. effective wash in wash out toners.

Your hair looks in good condition in the pic, so if you're still not happy you can use a blonde dye. You need to use a dye with 'cool' or 'ash' in the title. So light ash blonde, or cool ice blonde.

Be v. Careful putting brown on top. Can go horrendously wrong. Look on YouTube for advice for going blonde to brown if you want to go down that route.

Hope you get to work on time smile

amandalk91 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:27:01

Thanks for all of your replies! I tried the toner shampoo afterwards and it helped a tiny bit but just not enough. Soo I went and bought a light ash blonde dye and it's probably my own fault but it's still patchy, I'll attach a picture now. Do you think I just need to buy another 2 of the same dye and make sure I completely cover it? My hairs quite long I dunno why I thought I could cover it with one dye blush but if this will finally sort it it's save me paying 70+ in the salon..

amandalk91 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:28:08

As you can see I quite clearly didn't put enough on the end lol and it's darker than I'd like on top but as long as it would end up all the same colour I'm not too fussed anymore

amandalk91 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:30:48

I'll admit it looks 10x worse with the flash on my camera but even without you can still see all the different colours

Noeuf Fri 19-Feb-16 10:35:25

At this stage tbh I would go to a hairdresser. I think you could end up ruining your hair and making it worse.

amandalk91 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:57:49

I know but as I said I can't really afford it I was just looking for advice to see if I could fix it at home x

Thumbcat Fri 19-Feb-16 11:09:32

Personally I'd just wear it up and brazen it out for a while. I'd worry that putting anything else on it now would turn it to straw.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 19-Feb-16 12:21:40

Well I think it looks great in the second pictures. As you said, there are a few yellowy strands, but if you keep using the toner it will sort that out.
Rest your hair for a bit and use some conditioning treatments before you go again with the blonde dye.

jelliebelly Fri 19-Feb-16 12:25:13

You risk ruining your hair completely if you use any more dye on it now. Either head to a hairdresser to get it sorted properly or stick with the purple toner shampoo for now.

Lesson learned I guess! Always worth saving up for decent colour on long hair

KnockMeDown Fri 19-Feb-16 12:26:09

This may not be popular advice, but I would trim a good 4-5 inches off the back. The condition here does not look as good as the rest of your hair, and getting rid of this bit would mean the rest is a similar colour.

ppandj Fri 19-Feb-16 12:37:42

I think these would be the options I would consider:

A) wear hair up most of the time and apply hair treatments. Morrocanoil would be good but if you can't afford that even olive oil is good on the ends (leave overnight) and switch to a silicone free shampoo and conditioner.

B) call your local hairdressing college and ask how much it costs to have it done there by students. I used to go to the one here and it was £10 for full head highlights and a cut. Obviously the finished result is not as good really as an experienced hairdresser but there were lecturers there for consultation and it was a LOT better than my attempts at home colour.

C) go to a salon but they charge extra for colour corrections and as you say it costs a lot anyway.

I agree with a pp that maybe cutting it would help the condition and help with evening out the colour. Could you go for a long bob? Very trendy at the moment!

amandalk91 Fri 19-Feb-16 13:17:41

I've got a bit of a fat face at the moment so I don't think a bob would suit me! Lol I'm scared of cutting anything off it because it takes ages to grow for some reason. Only reason it's the length it is now because it grew well while I was pregnant. Think I'm gonna just have to suck it up and go the hairdresser's, thank you everyone x

ChildlessAndOK Fri 19-Feb-16 13:23:33

From that second pic I think it looks pretty good actually !!
Maybe just stick with them purple shampoo things for a while then look to get professional help if still unhappy?
We've all been there !
ATB
A

HairySubject Fri 19-Feb-16 13:25:53

I would get Touch Of Silver shampoo and conditioner (from Savers or other discount store) and use it every time you wash, leaving the conditioner on it for at least ten mins, it should really help if you use it a few times.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=touch+of+silver+brightening+shampoo&biw=1086&bih=479&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhzNHJ9oPLAhWKPBQKHdIDBZEQ_AUIBygC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now