New house - Don't know whether to buy the fridge off them

(13 Posts)
Curlybrunette Sun 24-Jan-16 21:53:15

We are due to move house soon; The guy we are buying off has offered us the range cooker and American fridge freezer for £400 each.

They are both about 4 years old.

We have looked in them both and the range is spotless. He said it cost just less than £1000, and I figure nothing much can go wrong with it. We're going to buy that.

The fridge I don't know what to do. It looks fine, clean (though it was packed so couldn't tell what the back would be like) and I've looked at similar ones and I think it would be about £800.

My dilemma is that as it is 4 years old it is out of any warranty, so should I buy a new one. Saying that our current fridge is 12 years old and (finger's crossed) is going strong.

WWYD, £400 for a 4 year old fridge freezer or buy your own new one?

Thanks

SleepyForest Sun 24-Jan-16 21:58:10

Haggle. That is too much for an old fridge. He may accept less if he is moving somewhere smaller.

FinestGrundyTurkey Sun 24-Jan-16 22:03:19

I have an LG American style which is nearly 7 years old - it works perfectly but the shelf above the veg crisper is completely broken (all I have is the piece of glass, the plastic surround gradually broke into pieces)(not its fault, it was heavy-handed men) & also one of the door shelves fell out but I was able to get a new one of those (was about £15. Can't get the crisper shelf)

Anyway I would think if you can check that all the interior bits are in good shape it's worth having; but on a pro rata basis, if you're paying £400 for a £1000 range, you shouldn't pay more than £300 for an £800 FF (& fwiw mine was a lot less than £800, although it doesn't have an icemaker or water dispenser)

I don't suppose he'll want to be bothered with removing either of them - maybe offer £600 for both & see how he takes it grin

FishWithABicycle Sun 24-Jan-16 22:04:01

At 4 years old they aren't worth that much whatever they were worth new.

Curlybrunette Sun 24-Jan-16 22:07:51

Hmmm hadn't thought of haggling (really I am a terrible negotiator!). He's also asking for extra for 2 of the carpets - he's asking for £1300 of extras in total, maybe offer £1100???

honeysucklejasmine Sun 24-Jan-16 22:10:37

Extra for the carpets?! Is he going to take them with him otherwise then? hmm

my ILs took their living room carpet with them when they moved

Paddletonio Sun 24-Jan-16 22:16:31

Definitely haggle! I've just moved and bought the sellers washing machine for £125. Wouldn't pay £400 for second hand fridge.

Curlybrunette Sun 24-Jan-16 22:24:33

I know! the estate agent rang last week and said about the FF and cooker, which we expected as the house details said "room for an American FF and range cooker" but when she said he wanted £200 each for the living room and master bedroom carpets I was really shocked.

They do feel like good quality ones, he said he'd spent over £4000 carpeting the house, the estate agent said he will take them out if we don't buy them.

But, he's leaving wardrobes in 3 of the bedrooms, and has offered us 2 big chest of drawers that go with the master bedroom for £50 each. I would have expected to pay more than £200 each if they were new.

He's also leaving all the curtains and light fittings, so I don't think he's being totally cheeky.

This is our 3rd house and the other 2 were brand new from the builders so I haven't done this house negotiating before. I feel like a real grown up now wink grin

FinestGrundyTurkey Sun 24-Jan-16 22:30:11

If you like the carpets, & you are happy with the cooker & FF, make him an offer - maybe £1000 for the lot (not too cheeky, as you're happy with wardrobes etc)?

It's in both your interests really for you to buy his things but not at a price he dictates.

Curlybrunette Sun 24-Jan-16 23:10:01

Good thinking, thanks for your advice everyone :-)

Debbriana1 Sun 24-Jan-16 23:17:37

I was just talking to my dp about your situation because he had the same thing happen him regarding the carpet. He said I should tell you to tell the seller to take it. The carpet is fitted, what would the seller do with it. The most likely thing is they won't take it.

Toomanycats99 Sun 24-Jan-16 23:21:45

If it's a Samsung beware! We have one of those and have had issues with it since a year after buying!

StompyFreckles Sun 24-Jan-16 23:32:27

My friend moved in to her new house recently - they had taken all the carpets with them shock. I think he'll take them if you don't buy then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now