Mums Coffee Mornings; What do you do?

(14 Posts)
KenQueen Wed 20-Jan-16 03:39:21

Okay so it isn't even MY mums coffee morning, I'm hosting on behalf of a friend since a pipe burst in their kitchen this weekend. Coffee morning is on Friday and I don't have children of my own (yet!) so I'm a bit bewildered by it.

What do you do for your coffee mornings?
So far:
- Having a cleaner in just to help tidy and clean the kitchen/living room
- Ordered fresh bouquets of flowers from our local florist
- Sorted a bunch of baked goods to pick up that morning
- Cleaned our nespresso machine and got extra pods
- Got some different blooming flower teas in a glass teapot
- Organised a children's play area if anyone is bringing younger children

honeysucklejasmine Wed 20-Jan-16 04:17:10

Is this some sort of charity event? Surely you're not going to all this effort just to have a few friends over a tea/coffee? shock

NerrSnerr Wed 20-Jan-16 05:02:38

I just offer tea, coffee and biscuits and madly tidy up in the half an hour before everyone arrives!

JoandMax Wed 20-Jan-16 05:05:01

I make them tea and maybe buy some fancy biscuits and we sit and chat!

I would never expect anyone to go to that much effort......

yomellamoHelly Wed 20-Jan-16 05:34:32

Would try and run round a hoover (though not end of work if too busy), make sure I had enough milk and get in a pack of biscuits just in case (but everyone will bring something). No way would I do all that.

jamenhej Wed 20-Jan-16 06:07:44

It's lovely that you've gone to so much trouble, it sounds fab! But that's definitely enough, more than enough! It must have cost you into the hundreds!! I would just make sure lounge, kitchen and bathroom were passable clean, buy some nice biscuits or cake, and serve normal tea and coffee. How many people are you hosting? Hope it goes well!

Bunbaker Wed 20-Jan-16 06:37:03

I don't know anyone who goes to that much effort. I just make sure the downstairs is clean and tidy, make a cake or some buns, or offer biscuits if I haven't had time to bake and offer tea and coffee. That's it.

hopelesslydevotedtoGu Wed 20-Jan-16 06:39:05

Gosh

I bought a packet of biscuits and got DH to cleaned the loo.

Unless this is some kind of special event, you have done much more than the mums will expect.

I did already have toys, if your friend who is hosting brings some over that is helpful.

YouMakeMyDreams Wed 20-Jan-16 07:12:33

We just pile into whoevers house it is, drink tea and coffee. Some might bake or we bring shop bought cakes or a bunch of flowers.
You have gone to a lot of trouble and it sounds lovely. You have done more than enough. I tens towards overdoing it as well because I want everyone to be comfortable.

Ledkr Wed 20-Jan-16 07:29:00

We go to the local coffee shop then back home to a tidy house and no washing up grin

Doublebubblebubble Wed 20-Jan-16 13:16:27

Yeah ^ it's all a bit much op. When I have a coffee morning

1. Stick kettle on
2. Open biscuits
3. Put biscuits on a plate (if I can be bothered/feel fancy)
4. Try and make DD and the other children play in her room (doesn't usually work
5. Stick a music channel on
6. Chat.
Or we just go to costa x

KenQueen Wed 20-Jan-16 13:31:43

Thank god for all of you! I haven't ever attended any coffee mornings and don't know the whole etiquette (if there is one?). Plus these women might be the ones I see more of once I have my own children so I was desperate to make a good impression. I feel so much better, thank you all so much!

OttiliaVonBCup Wed 20-Jan-16 13:34:05

I would avoid like the plague to be honest.

Mumwithdilemmas Wed 20-Jan-16 17:09:27

Coffee mornings ahh. I have a love/hate relationship with them.
Love meeting people
Hate fake aww haven't you done well
Love baking lovely treats
Hate sharing said treats
Love going to our coffee merchants
Hate sharing said coffee
Love gossip
Hate new univited people in my home
Love what a beautiful house you have
Hate why do you have such a big house
Love did you make that
Hate can we have the recipe of your families top secret food
Love champagne cocktails
Hate why do you have champagne glasses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now