If someone said to you 'I just don't like black culture'?

(25 Posts)
MrNedSchneebly Sun 17-May-15 20:28:02

This was in the context of a reason this person didn't want to go on holiday to the Caribbean.

How would you react? What would you say?

I big conversation ensued afterwards but am really interested to hear how people would handle it.

CtrlAltDelicious Sun 17-May-15 20:33:04

I would think that person was extremely sheltered with little experience outside their own cultural norms. I'd also think they were stupid, unintelligent and racist.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Sun 17-May-15 20:37:16

I'd be opened mouthed catching flies and assume they are ignorant as in lacking knowledge but also ask wtf they understood to mean black culture then educate them to best of my knowledge

AmyLeeha Sun 17-May-15 20:38:22

I'd point out that it was a sweeping generalisation and/or ask what culture it was that was attached to skin colour in a very unimpressed tone.

I'd be thinking a WHOLE lot more than that though (not great with confrontations!).

BluebeardsSidekick Sun 17-May-15 20:42:53

I'd take it that they'd worded it poorly and probably meant 'I'm not interested in black culture'. This wouldn't stir much of a reaction in me at all.There's not a lot to react to. They weren't saying that black culture was a pack of lies or only for idiots or for a lower type of human. They were expressing a preference.

I have preferences too. I'm not interested in golf, musicals or iron age history. Generally I phrase that as "I don't like golf/musicals/iron age history". There's no big deal.

hesterton Sun 17-May-15 20:43:43

Ha yes because there is only one black culture. And therefore one white culture. And never the twain shall meet.

Your friend is ridiculous.

BluebeardsSidekick Sun 17-May-15 20:43:43

*There's NOT a lot to react to.

roundtable Sun 17-May-15 20:47:52

I would ask them what the bloody hell they think 'black culture' is.

What a bizarre thing to say.

FenellaFellorick Sun 17-May-15 20:49:34

I'd think they were a dick.
Black culture.
Yeah because every black person on the planet has the same culture.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 17-May-15 20:54:59

"Black" culture? What? The food? The music? The family values? What???

Because obviously it's all the same everywhere.

hmm

lljkk Sun 17-May-15 20:58:37

It's awfully sweeping...
I'd want to hear more before I made up my mind; probably a position of applying narrow range of experiences too widely.

Kampeki Sun 17-May-15 21:00:48

I would ask them what the hell they meant by "black culture", and how they could dismiss an entire culture so glibly.

And I would think that they were racist and rather lacking in intelligence.

I certainly wouldn't be planning a holiday with them, in case that's on the cards.

AyMamita Sun 17-May-15 21:02:55

I would just say "what do you mean by that?" and let them dig themself into a hole

SylvaniansAtEase Sun 17-May-15 21:05:45

I think that even before I got to the 'wtf you weird racist' thoughts, I'd be more simply confused by what they thought they were getting at.

'Black' culture?! Surely so wide-ranging as to be utterly meaningless. It's like saying 'Oh I wouldn't be interested in holidaying in Spain/Australia/Germany - I just don't really like white culture'.

What on earth is it that they think they are identifying? Bizarre.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 17-May-15 21:07:55

If think they were a bit thick, a bit racist, totally unimaginative and really not someone I'd want to spend any time with.

Ionone Sun 17-May-15 21:08:35

I would just think that person was a dick, tbh.

MajesticWhine Sun 17-May-15 21:10:01

Odd thing to say. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions, but would ask them what they meant by it.

BeaufortBelle Sun 17-May-15 21:14:28

I wouldn't have reacted. I'd have nodded and smiled and kept my thoughts to myself.

Mintyy Sun 17-May-15 21:16:24

Same as MajesticWhine.

MrNedSchneebly Mon 18-May-15 07:59:11

I ended up pushing on it and regretting it. A lot was said but the real kicker was 'all Africans are bullshit'. I obviously said my piece but did eventually let it go and I'm now feeling upset with myself for not kicking up more of a fuss and walking out. Was at this persons house with DC and family and was quite a drive home and would have caused serious waves. BUT can you really just let blatant racism like that go for the sake of keeping the peace? I feel I shouldn't have.

YonicScrewdriver Mon 18-May-15 08:01:17

You didn't let it go, you pushed it.

You don't have to go to the house again!

FenellaFellorick Mon 18-May-15 08:18:21

If all people who were not ignorant bigots refused to let it go, the world might just be a better place.
I would never let racism go for the sake of a quiet life, it's just too important to me.
You did the right thing by challenging it.

MrNedSchneebly Mon 18-May-15 08:28:37

Yes but while I did challenge it and made it clear I thought it was not on after the discussion we carried on the day happily. I'm not sure that was the right thing to do. Ugh I feel sick about the whole thing. How is it possible to be racist like that! And also just to be so ignorant to think that it is any way ok to express those kind of opinions. I suspect my very elderly grandparents are homophobic but even they know that that is not an acceptable opinion to have and would never dream of voicing it.

MajesticWhine Mon 18-May-15 09:08:22

You did the right thing. Don't be upset with yourself, it's this person who is at fault and is racist, be upset with them. You have done nothing wrong.

SinisterBunnyMonth Mon 18-May-15 09:18:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now