Well I'm finally a true MNetter. I have a parking thread.

(57 Posts)
Gileswithachainsaw Sat 16-May-15 17:14:17

Well I literally passed my test days ago. so here's the thing. my house has off road parking at the back of the property there's supposed to be room for 4 cars but barely. and everyone's used to parking in three spaces as ice never needed it before.

now I parked in my space today much to the annoyance of a neighbour who is adamant it's her space. but it's not. everyone just needs to shove over as I now need to park there and it's my allocated space on the deeds of the house.

There is visitor parking the other side but that side is not as good a position security wise as the green means it's higher risk for foot balls hitting it and impulse vandalism etc.

so do I piss of the neighbour and claim.my space or take my chances

iK8 Sat 16-May-15 17:15:41

Claim it.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 16-May-15 17:15:45

Claim your space

BIWI Sat 16-May-15 17:17:07

No brainer. Your space. You park there.

imwithspud Sat 16-May-15 17:17:31

Claim your space, especially if you have proof that the space is yours.

EducateTogetheralumnus Sat 16-May-15 17:18:11

Claim it. It's your neighbours bad luck.

Flywheel Sat 16-May-15 17:18:56

Claim it. What have you said to her so far?

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 16-May-15 17:19:38

thing is hers is the space next to mine and the size of the cars means that there is no way all four will fit. and it only takes the first one to park to far to the right and that's it there's only space for three

FenellaFellorick Sat 16-May-15 17:19:53

claim your space.

If she has a go at you about it, point out that it is on the deeds of your house, it belongs to you and you have been a good neighbour by being kind enough to allow others to use it, but now you need it and you don't expect them to have an attitude about that.

Perhaps getting white lines and house numbers on the spaces might be a good idea.

OddBoots Sat 16-May-15 17:23:57

If there are lines put down would your car fit between them?

If so then use it, if not then you have a car too big for your allocated space so you need to park it elsewhere.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 16-May-15 17:25:17

thing is her space isallocated there as well but one over. fine in theory if we all have smart cars. but realistically 4 cars is very tight possibly ridiculously so and one car being "out" by a couple if inches literally screws it for the fourth car.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 16-May-15 17:25:48

odd I have a fiesta not a Q7 grin

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 16-May-15 17:34:36

I'm gonna have to be that guy aren't I. The one who spray paints spaces sad

FishWithABicycle Sat 16-May-15 17:42:15

Absolutely your space. You must and should claim it. Politely, assertively.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 16-May-15 17:42:46

Even if she can't fit her car in ?

OddBoots Sat 16-May-15 17:47:22

My neighbours have a huge truck thing they annoy people with so I didn't want to presume about your car.

Paint the lines, stay within the lines when you park. Otherwise you'll have huge problems when you sell. If your neighbours have larger cars or can't park they will have to go to the visitor spaces, they must have known the size of their own space when they bought.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 16-May-15 17:51:26

She rents so presumably she was just told roughly where by the landlord. I spoke to them earlier and she said that there's no way it's four spaces and I'm. mistaken. thing is we are both right. Both our spaces are there but became of not using it up until now it's become a given that there are only three spaces so everyone parks accordingly.

AlisonBlunderland Sat 16-May-15 17:52:12

Neighbour where I used to live used to go bonkers if we parked our one car in what she had decided was her space. (No spaces were allocated - we were far enough away from main road that no non-residents else wanted to use our spaces).
These neighbours owned and used 6 cars, which considering there were only 4 of them in their house was excessive!

SwingingBalls Sat 16-May-15 17:53:48

How is your space allocated on the deeds? If everyone should have a space, why aren't parking spaces marked out?

OddBoots Sat 16-May-15 17:55:04

You can print off or order in the post a title plan for your property for £3 or £7 respectively here: www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/search-the-register

You can give your neighbour a copy as proof then use your space. You could even get one for her property too if you wanted to, just to be absolutely clear.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 16-May-15 17:55:23

The just aren't marked out. but in the deeds it shows 4

auntpetunia Sat 16-May-15 17:55:37

I'd paint lines on, as per size on deeds, put house number on floor and on any adjacent walls ie, the one they see as they reverse or drive in right at eye level and windscreen level. Your space not hers Tough

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sat 16-May-15 17:57:23

She needs to be educated then

If you have your deeds showing the parking allocation, photocopy it & give it to her.

She can take it up with her landlord if she now feels 'her' space isn't big enough

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sat 16-May-15 17:58:11

If the spaces aren't marked how do you know which brings to which house?

Hadron21 Sat 16-May-15 17:58:15

Claim you space. Do not be apologetic about it. This is your chance YOUR ONE CHANCE to nip this in the bud.
I do love a good parking thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now