Help me deal with my bigoted IL's

(5 Posts)
hudyerwheesht Sun 10-May-15 07:57:29

I recently posted this thread about my IL's racist and homophobic comments to get some shit of my chest because I find them intolerable to be around. My latest problem is they've been mouthing off about how they proudly voted UKIP "as a protest" and I'm struggling to be around them.

As much as I can rant to my DH who, thank God, is nothing like them he is much more tolerant of them and I am finding it hard in the times I am forced to be in their company.

I need some suggestions as to how I can tolerate them becuase they are winding me up so much I find myself getting stressed if I know I am going to have to see them. I know I should just ignore them but that's not as easy as it sounds.

Some quick-fire responses and home truths to respond with would be quite nice too, if anyone can think of them.

DrSeuss Sun 10-May-15 19:21:49

I would ask them how effective a protest is constituted by one MP!

Jux Sun 10-May-15 19:38:52

I would play IL bingo.

Egog Sun 10-May-15 20:23:42

I'd drink. Copiously.

In my (albeit limited) experience, you simply can't change them, no matter how much you might like to. Options are; you can either not see them at all (obviously preferable wink), or hold your head high, seethe inwardly, and imagine that they are nothing more than talking amoebas.

Works for me, anyway.

hudyerwheesht Sun 10-May-15 22:04:02

DrSueuss that's the very thing they were moaning about - how they only get one seat! That kicked off their rant(s).

I do drink when in their company, which I generally avoid but not to an extent that would cause friction with DH, but yes, I do a lot of inward seething!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now