DH could be made redundant. Should I go full time?

(16 Posts)
BaublesBubblesBobbles Sat 02-May-15 18:18:32

DH's employer is making a third of the workforce redundant. No real idea yet if DH is at risk, but it's a real possibility as everyone could be in the pool for redundancy. I have a chance of going full time at work - currently only working 14 hours - but I need to make a decision now - before DH will find out about his job.

Not many jobs around here so he wouldn't necessarily find something else easily.

DCs are 2 and 1.... I love being with them, but DH would too...

WWYD?

Kewcumber Sat 02-May-15 18:19:30

I'd go full time personally.

But what do you and DH want to do?

expatinscotland Sat 02-May-15 18:22:32

Depends. If he is one of those who will do all that a SAHP does, not just the lion's share of the housework, but engaging with the children, admin, that sort of stuff, then maybe. If he's one of those whose mother did it all for him, now his wife does, then no way.

Jackieharris Sat 02-May-15 18:24:29

Go full time.

jelliebelly Sat 02-May-15 18:25:17

Go full time

BaublesBubblesBobbles Sat 02-May-15 18:25:29

We would both like to be the one at home!

It's the timescales that don't quite work. If I go FT now, I won't be able to go back to my lovely 14 hours if DH keeps his job. So that would mean one of us resigning. We don't want DCs in nursery FT...

TeaMakesItAllPossible Sat 02-May-15 18:29:24

FT and I'd look at alternative childcare if nursery isn't for you. Then, if he keeps his job, I'd probably try to do a couple of years whilst looking for another job that worked around school hours.

I probably would try and negotiate 30 hours a week first though wink

Kewcumber Sat 02-May-15 18:32:56

What Expat said and also factor in how big a disaster it would be if he gets made redundant and you're trying to manage on your 14 hours.

All things are temporary so even if you go full time - DC's could go to a local childminder for a while and then perhaps you can both negotiate slightly lower hours. Sometimes things are possible that you haven;t even considered.

Whether you ideally don't want DC's to go to nursery FT but presumably earning enough money to support the family is equally important?

MmeMorrible Sat 02-May-15 18:34:24

I would definitely go full time in your position. If a third of the workforce are being made redundant, then DHs odds are not good and whilst he may be lucky, likewise he may not. If you can take steps now to lessen the potential impact of DH losing his job, I think you would be very foolish not to.

CMOTDibbler Sat 02-May-15 18:35:40

I would - if they are making 1/3 of the workforce redundant, then things are not good at all, and even if he makes it through this round, there might be more.
Better the children are in FT nursery for a while than you are trying to support everyone on 14 hours of income.

tobysmum77 Mon 04-May-15 16:18:07

I guess it depends on how your finances are and your attitude to risk. What redundancy package does he get etc? If it isn't him/ he gets another job do you want to be FT?

TiredUponRising Mon 04-May-15 16:32:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kewcumber Mon 04-May-15 16:52:23

Tired IME (as finance director) there is when the company closes after the first round!

Chottie Mon 04-May-15 16:55:13

Go full time.

BaublesBubblesBobbles Mon 04-May-15 18:44:16

The redundancy packages are rubbish - just the statutory plus pay in lieu of notice. So less than a month's pay for him tax free then a month's pay with the usual tax.

You are all right. I need to be realistic and not just hope for the best!

HelenF350 Mon 04-May-15 19:58:24

I would go full time if you can, cover all bases. My dp has just been made redundant and I am 7 months pg. we are looking at me possibly going back to work early and him being a sahd if he can't pick anything suitable up. Not at all what we had planned but needs must sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now