Moving before dp has job so family live apart just for perfect house

(15 Posts)
fooogle Thu 21-Aug-14 07:07:12

Is it madness to do this? Dc 4 (starting school) and 2 1/2. Move would be from se London to Bristol. House is pretty much dream with big garden in a bustling area of Bristol. Concerns; disrupting predictable life for kids and me, lone parenting 5 days a week (my family 20 min away), partner going nuts trying to find job and get it (teacher so only come up certain bits of term etc)... general paranoia about leaving London....
House is lovely and garden huge which we say we want and these are rare in area we like.
Have to offer today...

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 07:12:37

If you want to be in Bristol long term. I'd go off it. What's it going to like getting a school place tho?isnt Bristol badly over subscribed ?

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 07:14:21

Go for it sorry!! The lone parent thing will be fine - thousands do it. It won't be forever if you want the kids to grow up there

Fleecydressinggown Thu 21-Aug-14 07:28:06

Do it. Make that leap and go for it. My husband and i have done similar 'mad' things in our 25plus years together, some havent worked out but most have.

fooogle Thu 21-Aug-14 07:29:41

ladybird Yeah, schools, I am not 100% on. Will look into further though hard as not good time to ask is it?
We vascillate. We love where we love in London just can't afford bigger and only really want to live there. It ll be a wrench to leave as once you're out you're out with London I guess.
Where are you ladybird? If I may ask

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 07:51:46

North west. Schools are desperately short of places near us and I have a four year old and moved house not that long ago wink the LA will have info on places. I have read that bits of Bristol are over subscribed etc

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 07:52:57

Youse need to just accept a less than perfect school until a 'better' place comes up

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 07:53:42

That should have said you may need to accept less than your dream school

fooogle Thu 21-Aug-14 08:59:53

Thanks ladybird. Hard to make decisions on all this. We ve been where we are for 10 years so we are all comfy, just too snug!
We are looking at moving to bishopston. Hard to know what it ll really be like til we try.
Anyone else dared and won?
Parents think it's bad idea

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 11:51:10

Why? The expense of London housing is a serious consideration. It's not like you are moving hundreds of miles ?

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 12:11:28
ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 12:24:11
ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 12:26:20
fooogle Thu 21-Aug-14 15:36:51

Thanks ladybird.
You're right it's not like moving to the outer Hebrides we just are really badly indecisive!!!
Partners jobs may not come up as he's at a higher level in schools so scared we ll all be apart for ages.
Did you have to be apart for your move?

ladybirdandsnails Thu 21-Aug-14 16:08:46

Nope but it's always a wrench and sometimes you have to weigh up risks etc and how far he would be prepared to
Commute etx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now