returning ex-pats... what, how, where ??

(7 Posts)
cowbiscuits74 Fri 15-Aug-14 17:17:10

Hello All, not sure if this is the right thread so let me know if I need to move it

After 10 years working overseas we are looking to return to the UK in about 2 years time and I think it will take us that long to unravel everything where we are an get as organized as possible to return. We know it won't be easy but is 'now or never' really.

Has anyone done this recently? Would love to hear from you as to where you settled and why, how you chose your location. How you got your kids into schools and looked for work as it is sort of a chicken and egg situation in terms of what you look for or commit to first.

Anything you wish you had done a different way or in advance if possible? I am reading it can be difficult to open accounts, get credit, apply for a mortgage etc. Is there anything else you wish you had known about in advance?

Thank you

cowbiscuits74 Fri 15-Aug-14 17:30:49

sorry, should specify we are UK ex-pats

FernieB Tue 19-Aug-14 07:02:56

We moved back after 6 years away and moved to the same town we'd left. Before we bought a house we phoned round schools to see who had room and then bought in that area. The job was more difficult in that most employers didn't want to employ someone who lived abroad in case they had to pay relocation or interview travel expenses. So I moved back with the DC first and my DH commuted, coming back to the UK at the weekend. Once we had a UK address it was easier to get a job. That may depend upon the type of work you are looking for though.

Hope it goes well for you.

GnomieD Thu 18-Sep-14 21:31:06

I was an expat for almost 10 years and moved back to the UK nearly 7 years ago. We chose the area to live based on schools. We both preferred the north if England and chose Trafford (South Manchester). We found a rental property online and had to pay 6 months rent in advance due to having very little credit history.

We shipped the majority of belongings back in a shipping container which left us without furniture for about 6 weeks! We ordered things like blow up beds, crockery, etc from tesco's. My sister collected keys for the house and was there for the Tesco delivery. We rented a car for the first 3 months, when we did buy one we had to have a guarantor due to sparse credit history. We had to rebuy all the electrical stuff as the voltage was wrong, so expensive few months. I only had 1 child of school age and I checked for vacancies in local schools before signing the house lease.

I still had a bank account and got credit cards reasonably easily, use the credit cards to get your credit history built up. We purchased a house 6 months after moving back, interest rate was high to start and we ended up paying a broker, but we were approved.

I gave up my job when we moved but my husband kept his job and worked from home so we didn't have the work situation to deal with. My son needed a hospital visit after a few months back and we had to take copies of our lease to prove that we were actually permanently resident.

Any other questions let me know!

cowbiscuits74 Fri 19-Sep-14 15:52:24

Gnomie
This is all fantastic information and advice thank you. Good idea to check with LEA on vacancies before signing the lease as quite a chicken and egg situation isn't it? We are paying a visit to our preferred location at Easter so hoping to really rule areas in/out, check out a few schools and look at properties then so will post again as we go along in case it helps anyone else as there is really much much more to think about that when we emigrated especially with 2 kids in tow and 10 years of accumulated 'stuff'. Cheers

lilacmamacat Sat 20-Sep-14 20:10:37

We're planning to move back to the UK in the next few months so I'll be checking in for info.

cowbiscuits and Gnomie what kind of schools were you looking for - primary or secondary? Our DS will be starting primary next september and I've just been applying to schools here in case we still haven't moved (god forbid!). Bit concerned that we'll move before Xmas, try to find school place for DS and find they're all gone <eek>

cowbiscuits74 Tue 21-Oct-14 22:32:38

lilac, sorry just seen your post. we will need reception and Y3, have been advised just today by the LEA to apply now (or before the cut off for the first round which I think is January) for the reception place even though we don't have UK address, not promising anything of course but they said we have nothing to lose by doing so but I think each LEA views it differently so worth getting in touch with them directly as you will be an in-year application. I have contacted 3 LEAs so far and they have all been incredibly helpful and forthcoming.

Let me know how you get on and good luck with move!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now