Letter from social services concerning shouting at children

(5 Posts)
frazzeled Sat 02-Aug-14 14:35:02

We have just arrived home from holiday to find a letter from social services stating there has been an anonymous complaint about shouting at our children - and that if there is any further complaints they will have to visit. We are pretty sure it is our elderly, fairly malicious neighbour that is outraged we are doing building work, and feels it is devaluing her house.

We do shout - not often - but if there is a safety concern (running in road, someone about to be pushed off the top of the climbing frame) and the odd call for bath time/meal times. But never bad language, rarely in anger (if it sounds angry it's normally more concern that someone is about to hurt themselves!)

Do I ring social services to discuss? Do I confront the neighbour (politely - along the lines of just apologising that she felt she couldn't just mention it to us?). Incidentally we were just in the process of considering discussing her antisocial noise due to her dog barking until 1.30 am everyday, and loud TV/radio keeping our whole household awake. We had not done so as felt that inconsiderate whilst we finish our building work.

To be honest really upset that someone has complained - has made me think before I say anything in my own home.

NigellasDealer Sat 02-Aug-14 14:40:08

if I were you I would phone the duty social worker and try to open a discussion about it.
Good luck and be careful

Hurr1cane Sat 02-Aug-14 14:47:27

Really? For shouting them not to push each other? I don't shout at DS because the noise hurts his ears but I'm convinced Ill get a phone call from social services because of the noise he makes while I'm putting suncream on him

"Not my arms!!! Oh no not my face, please not my face!"

It sounds like in torturing him!

If it's one malicious neighbour do you think they'll call again and therefore warranting a visit?

Lally112 Sat 02-Aug-14 14:51:48

What a complete waste of time, Stuff the letter in a drawer and get on with whatever you had planned to do today. If they do come for a visit they will only ask questions, look at the surroundings your children are being raised in and close the investigation with no further action. Trust me, I was a care kid.

NigellasDealer Sat 02-Aug-14 14:55:09

hmm
they are used to malicious calls....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now