Moving to Edinburgh

(8 Posts)
Clare0503 Wed 30-Jul-14 17:19:18

Hello! I am hoping that I could get some advice on council housing areas that are nice to bring children up in and around Edinburgh. I will be moving up there from Suffolk with my daughter who will be 3 by then, and my partner.The reason for the move is that I will be attending the university at Musselburgh, so the area will need to be easy to commute to and from.We are excited about the move, but have no clue at all about areas. Please help!!! [Confused]

Ninetysixpercent Wed 30-Jul-14 17:30:18

You'll be hard pushed to get a Council house in Edinburgh, there's around 500 applicants for each property and they're almost all in dodgy areas. I've been on the waiting list for 6 years. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear.
Look up edinburgh.gov.uk for more info, you have to register with edinex.

Clare0503 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:09:01

Thank you Ninetysixpercent,
I thought that may be the case. Sorry if I am being naive, but do the scottish government work on the same housing scheme as England? Would they give housing support if we are not able to make a housing exchange? Or even affordable rent?

Messygirl Thu 31-Jul-14 13:10:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ninetysixpercent Fri 01-Aug-14 19:10:23

You might be able to get help with rent on a private rental. You have to apply to the Council responsible for the area you move to and it depends on your income/bedroom requirements and average rent of the area you live in. It's called local housing allowance here but is basically housing benefit.
Afaik it's a completely different system to England.

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 01-Aug-14 19:17:26

Musselburgh itself is nice to live in, and housing is cheaper.

Clare0503 Fri 01-Aug-14 19:23:01

Mon

Clare0503 Fri 01-Aug-14 19:25:40

That's really helpful thanks guys. I have heard mixed reviews but we quite liked Leith the past couple of times we visited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now