My aunt is dying

(8 Posts)
readrunraverelax Wed 30-Jul-14 20:37:32

Thanks for your posts everyone.

FlossyMoo Tue 29-Jul-14 23:30:32

She is not in need of palliative care at the moment and we are meeting on the 15th of August for a local event so we are giving her it then.

I'm sorry that your father never got to see the photos.

EBearhug Tue 29-Jul-14 23:23:53

Don't leave it too near the end. My father never got to see the last lot of photos I was going to show him (to be fair some of them had only just been printed.) We'd expected a few more months, but it didn't happen.

FlossyMoo Tue 29-Jul-14 22:55:13

Hi read

I am in a similar situation. My DH aunt who I am close to is also dying from cancer. She was given 6 months last November and even though I know she has surpassed that it is kind of worse because we think every week is he last.

I have put together a photo album.
Some pictures were of her with various family members and some were of just us. I wrote little reminders next to each photo of the funny/memorable moments from when each picture was taken.
I will give it to her when I know it is nearing the end (but when she can still read it) as I want her last memories to be good ones of the family that love her very much.

Write the letter. It will mean a lot. thanks

EBearhug Tue 29-Jul-14 22:48:55

Yes, do write.

Mintyy Tue 29-Jul-14 22:37:19

I sent a letter to my Uncle when he was dying that acknowledged the fact. I told him I would miss him and included some happy memories of him from my childhood. It wasn't all doom and gloom and maudlin.

I couldn't go and visit him, but I didn't want him to just die without knowing I was thinking about him!

I think it is a kind idea and you should go ahead.

GothMummy Tue 29-Jul-14 22:33:09

Oh I am so sorry. Your letter idea sounds nice, Im sure she would like to know she is thought of and loved even though you are far away.

readrunraverelax Tue 29-Jul-14 22:28:08

I do not exactly know what I am asking here. My poor aunt is dying from Cancer and she has no children. She is my mum's sister. I am thinking of writing her a letter. I have been sending her chatty newsy letters and a postcard from a trip I took earlier this month. These are to let her know I am thinking about her and to tell her about the DC.

My other aunt (so my mum's other sister) and my mum have tonight informed me she is now receiving nursing at home from Marie Curie nurses and will hopefully get hospice care soon. She is now very week and is bleeding a lot. She cannot chat much as she is so weak and tired.

Would a loving letter which addresses the fact she is dying be appropriate? I have no experience of this whatsoever. I want to do what is best for her. Please advise. Sorry if the content of this upsets anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now