maggots

(11 Posts)
lisamariejane Tue 29-Jul-14 00:28:47

Please i need some help how do I get rid of maggots in my wheelie bins there making me feel sick and I don't no what to do to get rid of them my bins get emptied every 2 weeks and as soon as there empty im out there cleaning them but this week I have noticed that there are lots of maggots in them and I don't no how to get rid of them please please help

Jeyes fluid and kettle or two of boiling water. Close lid, leave to steep, slosh about and empty down nearest manhole. J fluid optional, plain boiling water will do.
Is a compost bin?

Lally112 Tue 29-Jul-14 00:35:17

The above will work but please be aware that jeyes fluid and other things like it are phenol based, not spectacularly fab for the environment and will most likely kill yours or your neighbours pets so maybe be more careful than sloshing down a manhole during its disposal.

Booxo Wed 30-Jul-14 15:00:43

We put bleach in ours and when the bins got collected they swapped it with someone else's! Hehe

CuttedUpPear Wed 30-Jul-14 15:05:34

Don't bother with the bleach or Jeyes fluid. The environmental impact is horrible.

Boiling water alone will kill them.

Strawdolly Wed 30-Jul-14 15:12:40

I agree, boiling water is all that's needed. Try and make sure anything flies will find attractive for laying their eggs into is bagged and tied.

cucarachita Thu 11-Sep-14 21:41:58

I have found a good idea to get rid of flies from the wheelie bin.
Just squirt a little washing up liquid on top of the brown bag of food waste or just squirt on top of the waste food if it is not in a bag, them close the top.
Just make sure it is not so much that it can drip outside the wheelie bin.

Anotherchapter Thu 11-Sep-14 21:43:18

Double bag and bleach.

Mine were fucking horrendous!

cucarachita Fri 12-Sep-14 18:30:59

Do not use bleach or Jeyes fluid for your wheelie bin, try my idea first. good luck.
from cucarachita

Boiling water will cap the b*****ds. I went away for a week once and left DH home alone. Never again. There were maggots on the kitchen table wriggling around when I got back - a joint of uncooked beef on the kitchen counter absolubtely crawling with them. Yuck. Never leaving him on his own again

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-Sep-14 19:10:57

Use a wheelie bin liner,I get mine from the 99p store but tesco do them too. Double wrap all bin waste and every now and again spray some fly spray into the bin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now