Octonauts for 8yo birthday party?

(17 Posts)
schmizaj Thu 24-Jul-14 20:12:36

Instead of 'class party' this year agreed daughter would choose a couple of friends to do something with. Found 'Octonauts Live' show actually on her birthday at theatre up the road. She still loves the show and watches cbeebies etc, but wondering if the more 'with it' girls with older siblings etc would find it babyish..... Thoughts??

MozzchopsThirty Thu 24-Jul-14 20:55:05

Personally I would think it's too young at that age
I remember the boys liking it when they were 3 or 4

CocktailQueen Thu 24-Jul-14 20:57:21

Hmm, I agree with Mozz - DS liked it years ago, and he's 7.

PotatoPolly Thu 24-Jul-14 21:00:02

If you think she'd enjoy it, who cares what others think?! Maybe take her to the theatre on her own to see it and then go for a dinner out with her friends?

MozzchopsThirty Thu 24-Jul-14 21:04:13

And watching cbeebies at 8 shock

NorksEnormous Thu 24-Jul-14 21:06:40

I would take her without friends to see it- at 8 they will try and act cool and say it's babyish (even if they are secretly engrossed in it!) if she likes the show why not make a day of it with just her, or with family?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 24-Jul-14 21:12:21

Ds2 is just starting to show less enjoyment in Octonauts. He was 6 in May.

I think they're a bit too old for it. If your dd is really keen on it, can you have a quiet word with the other girls mums and see if they would still enjoy it before booking anything?

schmizaj Thu 24-Jul-14 21:57:12

Hmm, may just go for a movie or something instead, shame they grow up too fast! Thanks x

Hoppinggreen Sat 26-Jul-14 23:31:18

They all like different things but my 5 year old boy seems to be growing out of Octonauts a bit now.

lornemalvo Sat 26-Jul-14 23:39:45

There is nothing wrong with watching cbeebies at 8. There doesn't have to be a rush to grow up.

NormaCore Sat 26-Jul-14 23:49:42

Why don't you ask the other girls if they like Octonauts too?

Generally a trip to the theatre is fun, even if you are not that into the actual performance.

I agree with lornemalvo about CBeebies. It isn't like there is an age limit. Loads of the programmes are actually pretty interesting for older kids, like I Can Cook, Minibeast Adventure, Katy Morag, Peter Rabbit and Tree Fu Tom and I am a LOT older than 8!

MissMilbanke Sat 26-Jul-14 23:52:23

My ds at 7.5 loves octonauts but I'm not sure hed want to in its his class tho. Shame

schmizaj Mon 28-Jul-14 13:21:25

Hee hee thanks lorne & norma I get pulled into too I love Katy Morag!!!And that minibeast and thing with Andy & the Nina one is great for older ones as they actually understand the science of it when bit older. Also have younger sibling so has to be channel of choice as other stuff too old and don't like tv with adds as don't like being nagged. But wonder when young one is 7/8 will have grown up faster.....

With party going to sound out the good friend's mum as think her daughter will be ok, her daughter similar to mine and is eldest and may just take a 1 or 2 others rather than other girls who are bit more mature.....

SarcyMare Mon 28-Jul-14 13:24:15

my son still watches cbeebies at 8 because his little sister who is 3 still loves it.
He still finds bits to enjoy, and still likes Octonauts.

i would take her for a trip and organise a different party.

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Wed 06-Aug-14 03:39:58

My boys are 6 and 8 and both still love octonauts, as well as a variety of other stuff.

I think you are doing right by sounding it out, as if it were my 8 year old he would love to do it.

My sister is taking my kids (I am in work and can't get day off) to see sooty live this year, I am so jealous I would love to go with the kids! grin

happymittens Tue 12-Aug-14 10:36:30

I can't see how Octonauts is too young for 8 year olds. It's not exactly babyish or simplistic. I think it's hard to overgeneralise about cbeebies as it's so mixed. Anyway for info I have seen Octonauts party stuff in Hobbycraft :-)

schmizaj Tue 12-Aug-14 13:40:18

Thank you really interesting thoughts, maybe kids are just so different with what into. Latest is just picking 2 really good friends who are similar and the mums think they'd love it keeping it quiet and not taking the girls who are into 1D already....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now