Don't know what to make of this?? SATs related

(15 Posts)
Waydugo Sat 12-Jul-14 08:08:00

I'd just like some advice really as I'm not sure if it's me or not.
Bit of background: a few months ago I went to see DS's teacher as he appeared to not be making much progress with his writing. It all came out that he'd been messing about a little at school and slacking off but school never once contacted me about this hmm. I wasn't particularly surprised as it's been a recurrent theme all through school. So we agreed an action plan and I checked up on his behaviour every week.
Fast forward to SATs results: DS has done very well across the board and we both wanted to know what sub level he got as it's mentioned in every report and parents' evening up till now.
His teacher was unwilling initially to give them to me despite saying she would at the last parent consultation.
So yesterday she wrote it into his home link book with the following comment:
Our thoughts are that they were all very pleasing. Hope you agree.
So wise mnetters where do I go with this?

GretchenWiener Sat 12-Jul-14 08:12:25

We didn't get sub levels. Tbh who cares

Waydugo Sat 12-Jul-14 08:27:20

Then why do school keep telling the kids their sub levels all the time? And why do Ofsted insist that all kids should know what level they're operating at?? That's why my son wanted to know.
I've taught year 6 myself for a number of years and we always told the kids what their sub levels were.
If you read my post I'm asking about the comment made by the teacher.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 12-Jul-14 08:32:51

So yesterday she wrote it into his home link book with the following comment: Our thoughts are that they were all very pleasing. Hope you agree.

Do you agree?

If so then good.
If not then say 'no, sorry we don't.

What do you want to do about whatever it is you are concerned about?

GretchenWiener Sat 12-Jul-14 08:33:59

She's chatted to head. Head said don't give sub levels. She'll just post on mumsnet ;)

We got one level for every result. Year 6

GretchenWiener Sat 12-Jul-14 08:34:41

and every one a six I'm fricken chuffed but pretending not to be

MrsKCastle Sat 12-Jul-14 08:35:51

You haven't said whether or not they actually are pleasing! If not, then go and speak to the teacher.

cece Sat 12-Jul-14 08:37:57

I'm not sure what you mean about the teachers comment? Do you find it rude or something?

Are you happy with his levels or not? Sub levels are not reported at end of KS2.

TBH ime you will get copious amounts of information about sub levels once they are at secondary.

noblegiraffe Sat 12-Jul-14 08:49:40

Sublevels don't officially exist. If she gave you sublevels for official SATs exams she'd have to make them up.

Exactly noble.

ContentedSidewinder Sat 12-Jul-14 18:37:12

Does it not break it down on their school report?

We have generic X got a level 4/5/6 in Literacy for the SATs bit but no sub levels on that.

But Ds1 knows what percentage/mark he got for each SATs paper and his normal end of year 6 report shows the sub levels he got in literacy for reading/writing etc So we know exactly where he is.

Does no other school do this - give sub levels at year 6? not the SATs papers (Ds1 knows he got 92% on his numeracy papers overall and was told verbally that he is a 5a) Is our school different?

woodlands01 Sun 20-Jul-14 20:46:41

Sub levels do not officially exist. However the school will have the raw scores that are forwarded to secondary school and children's targets are likely to be set based on these. Sublevels do count in terms of target setting for secondary school (in my school anyhow). I have asked the primary school for the raw scores as I would like to know what is being passed onto secondary school. I will sublevel these (as best I can) and determine if year 7 targets are realistic.

odyssey2001 Sun 20-Jul-14 21:50:36

As the data manager for my school I can tell you that sublevels DO exist. Our LA has the data from them upstairs and I requested them for this year for our Year 6s as I have done every year. Our children are told via reports but never by the teacher directly in any year group (except maybe informally in Years 5 and 6).

dera.ioe.ac.uk/10747/1/1849623848.pdf These are the official levels as published by the government. There aren't any standardised, agreed sub levels as far as I know though perhaps it varies from LEA to LEA. Certainly every school I've worked in has essentially made up their own sublevels, usually by applying distinguishing words like 'confidently' or 'usually' or 'sometimes' to phrases lifted from the official levels.

ElephantsNeverForgive Sun 20-Jul-14 22:34:00

It's a tad PA. Sort of "There there, you see DC grades are fine, you didn't really need to ask, did you?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now