Advise me re: part time work

(10 Posts)
margaritasbythesea Wed 02-Jul-14 11:32:03

I have several part-time jobs, some of which are seasonal and one of which runs through the year, two days a week.

This job is for a local charity. I really enjoy it and don't mind doing a bit extra as I am the only one there who is paid. My issue is this: we have a meeting coming up to discuss officey organisational things and our Treasurer keeps telling me to think about whether I need more time to do the job I am doing.

I do have to work quickly, sometimes too quickly which leads to small mistakes. I do also sometimes do things outside of official work hours. this doesn't really bother me too much.

There is a real problem for me in November and early Descember. Last year, I was working perhaps four days a week to get everything done, not being paid for two of them. I did mind this, really, although I did it. It is also possible that I would have to turn down other paid work to do it but no one else can do the things that need to be done IYSWIM

I am thinking of asking for flexible overtime during this period of up to two days per week. I have discussed this with the Treasurer and she thinks this is reasonable.

Do you think I should ask for my current hourly rate or an overtime rate. She has asked me and I just don't know what to say.

Do you think I should ask for more hours through the year, or do all jobs in reality come with a bit of extra work above the hours you are contracted for (this is what I think).

I really appreciate this job as it is very flexible for me and I want to show them some flexibility back. I enjoy it and don't want to have a bad taste in my mouth because I feel I have been grabby with a charity.

I'd go for current hourly rate for over time if its charity but that's just me.

margaritasbythesea Thu 03-Jul-14 07:05:07

That's my feeling too. Thanks for responding. smile

tobysmum77 Thu 03-Jul-14 07:39:46

Its not about being grabby. People work to earn money to live, you can't live on fresh air.
I think it sounds like a great deal for them, someone part time so cheaper but who will do some extra hours when they are needed.

beachyhead Thu 03-Jul-14 07:50:28

Could you consider a 50% role, so let's say Tuesday and Wednesdays and every other Thursday.

Then in the peak periods, work every Thursday and in the slower months, do just the two days a week.

Regular employment contract, just half of everything. And you keep a tally of days there and days off.

Chocotrekkie Thu 03-Jul-14 07:51:42

I work part time and do overtime as required at busy times.

If its just staying an extra hour I don't mind and dont claim this but I do have the flexibility to leave early or take an hour off in the day to go to school play etc so it works for me.

Working an extra day I claim as overtime on my normal hourly rate.

margaritasbythesea Thu 03-Jul-14 19:59:37

Thanks for your responses. I think I am just a bit anxious about how I am perceived as everyone I work with gives them time for free apart from me (because they also benefit from the charity, which I don't). I also have to think about how I'm seen by DH though, who did question a lot last year why I was doing so much extra.

Both beachy head and chocos ideas are good. I can put them forward as two alternatives. Thanks very much.

RuddyDuck Tue 08-Jul-14 06:04:50

I think you are feeling guilty about the fact that you are being paid, whereas others are volunteering. You have no need to feel guilty, the trustees of the charity have made the decision that your position needs to be a paid one. They haven't done that as a favour to you, but because it's in the best interests of the charity to have a paid member of staff for your position.

I have worked for charities in the past, and have also been on the trustee board of charities. I know how easy it is to do additional unpaid hours because "it's a charity" but this isn't actually helpful to the charity. Most charities are working to tight budgets and need to be very clear about how much income they have to raise to cover costs, such as salaries. If you left your job tomorrow and the charity employed someone who then either claimed for all the additional hours they worked, or alternatively refused to do the additional hours because they weren't getting paid, the charity would have a real problem, because they wouldn't have budgeted for it.

You need to be clear about how many hours the job is actually taking, and sort out the best way of being paid for this. In one job I had the hours were annualised, and although each month I was paid 1/12 of the annual salary, the hours worked changed according to what needed doing. Is this a possibility?

Oodlives Tue 08-Jul-14 07:13:12

Annualised hours may work?

margaritasbythesea Tue 08-Jul-14 21:43:19

Thanks for your responses. I did suggest the extra day thing and the annualised hours but they want to go with overtime at same rate as and when needed.

I forgot to ask for a pay rise in line with inflation though. Doh! I really should have done that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now