School at fault?

(8 Posts)
bbombshell Tue 01-Jul-14 17:42:37

So I got a call from my DS 7 school today to say he'd had an accident and banged his head, but of blood but couldn't see much as it was in his hair.

As I was over an hour away from home I had friend go collect him and asked her to check him over, only to get a call back to say she was taking him to a&e to have his head glued.

Injury has occurred as DS ran into the corner of a upvc window. Now these windows open out from the bottom and into the playground, perfect head height for any child!

I'm furious that these have not been closed during play time and also that the incident was down played. Now DS has a lovely glued split in his head and also a gash on his forehead which will scar (yet another one!)

I want to go in and kick off with school over the lack of common sense & health and safety but WWYD??

Zephyroux Tue 01-Jul-14 17:46:27

I wouldn't be kicking off, accidents are accidents and it sounds like your son is a bit prone by the number of scars you say he has.

bbombshell Tue 01-Jul-14 17:50:24

Accidents do happen I agree, but surely this could have been avoided completely, who in their right mind would have windows like that opened in an open space where kids run around?!?

Also his other scars are from surgery at a young age, not from accidents.

BackforGood Tue 01-Jul-14 18:07:37

I wouldn't do anything, except thank the school for dealing with the accident and calling me to take him to get it checked out.

Why's he running that close to the building?

IvyBeagle Fri 04-Jul-14 18:45:31

I would write thanking them for calling me promptly but strongly expressing concern about the windows.

Singsongmama Sun 06-Jul-14 19:58:36

If it required a trip to a and e the school are obliged to record it officially as an accident. They'll probably remind all staff to close and check windows as a result.

To be honest, it's not ideal but I bet the school was roasting and no one will have considered it a danger until now. Nothing can change what happened but let's hope it never happens again.

bbombshell Mon 07-Jul-14 08:44:36

Found out from the H&S officer that the windows have a catch on them (should be on at all times) so that the windows can open slightly (the windows above do open wider to circulate air) but a member of staff had taken the safety latch off and opened the window wider.
H&S officer has gone off his rocker and addressed the problem so that hopefully nothing like that happens again.

IvyBeagle Tue 08-Jul-14 09:25:55

At least they are aware and now will do something about it. We had a similar thing and the school insisted it was my daughters fault and they had nothing to do with it, the problem is still there and its just luck that no other child has been hurt. We changed schools because of this attitude to parents amongst other problems. Your school sound on the ball and like they will deal with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now