funeral dilemma

(11 Posts)
PingPongBat Thu 26-Jun-14 17:51:45

DD (13) has been learning a new instrument for a few weeks. She has been asked to do a short solo at a school concert smile

On the same day, the funeral of a great friend of 20+ years is taking place sad

If I go to the funeral (not local), I may miss the concert (at school locally) because of the timings.

DD is aware of the timing clash, is pleased to be asked to do the solo, but is a bit sad at the prospect of me missing it.

WWYD?

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Thu 26-Jun-14 17:55:17

Funeral. There will probably be other opportunities to hear your daughter play. You need to talk to her about it, obviously, so she understands why it's important to go to a funeral.

I'm sorry for your loss. thanks

MrsBungle Thu 26-Jun-14 17:56:30

Definitely the funeral. I'm sure there will be other performances.

FatalCabbage Thu 26-Jun-14 17:56:44

Funeral, but do your best to get back in time.

Can you hold a special pre-concert at home? And ask someone to video it (if able)? Maybe go out for pizza or have them in after and do popcorn /films or something you don't often do?

flamingtoaster Thu 26-Jun-14 17:57:59

Funeral. Are parents allowed to film at your school concerts? If so you could ask a friend to film her performance.

scaevola Thu 26-Jun-14 18:02:29

Funeral.

I am sure you will find a way to deal with your DD's disappointment, and I hope there will be more recitals in future when you can watch. Is her father around to go? Or GPs, favourite aunt/uncle?

PingPongBat Thu 26-Jun-14 18:08:36

It's a mutual friend of DH & me, so he would go too. Filming is a good idea, thanks, I'll ask about that. Thanks for thethanks

shakinstevenslovechild Thu 26-Jun-14 18:10:03

I think I would go to the concert and find my own way to say goodbye to my friend, or try to get to the wake after the performance if I could.

funeral - there will be other concerts

odyssey2001 Sun 29-Jun-14 09:12:53

Funeral and try to get someone special to go instead (an aunt, uncle, best friend's parent etc). Filming also a great idea then watch it together straight after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now