How to deal with horrible boss.

(5 Posts)
chubbymummy Mon 16-Jun-14 21:44:13

I had to take DS to A&E in the middle of the night last night due to a combination of a very high temperature, general illness, croup and asthma. He was given steroids and eventually let home. He obviously wasn't fit to go to school today so I rang in work to let my boss know I wouldn't be in and why. She is a scary woman and you never know which way the wind is blowing with her, she is nice as pie one minute and shouting in someone's face the next so I really had to psych myself up to phone her. I explained how ill he was and that I had nobody to look after him and she was totally fine, she even said "let me know when you know if you'll be in tomorrow or not".
DS has deteriorated again today and the steroids clearly haven't made a difference. I took him to see the doctor this afternoon who has given him even more steroids and was on the brink of sending him straight back to A&E. I was given strict instructions to take him straight to hospital if he deteriorates any further or if his peak flow readings drop much lower. I had intended to ask my Mum to look after him tomorrow but it looks like there's a fair chance I will be heading back to hospital with him during the night. I don't want to leave him when he's so poorly anyway as it's not fair to expect somebody else to try and keep his asthma under control or make the decision about when he needs medical help (I find that hard enough myself). I am also exhausted after having very little sleep last night.
Anyway I took a deep breath and rang my boss to tell her that he's no better and it looks like he may need to go back to hospital. She was clearly not happy and told me to make sure I find somebody else to have him. I explained again that he is too ill to leave and she told me before ringing off that I will be expected in on Wednesday. I actually said thank you before hanging up - what the fuck is wrong with me?!
I'm still upset and angry hours later and feel stressed enough without worrying about work on top of worrying about my son. I feel like phoning her at home and telling her to shove my job up her arse (if I could afford to be out of work I wouldn't think twice). My priority is my child's health, asthma can kill for fucks sake!!!
So, come on wise Mumsnetters, how would you handle a boss like this? I dread going to work because of her and I know the other staff feel the same way.

chubbymummy Mon 16-Jun-14 22:08:24

Anybody?

confettiwoman Mon 16-Jun-14 22:35:13

Personally I would ring into HR dept and speak to them, there should be something in your contract about taking emergency leave, even if it ends up being unpaid.

As a footnote I had a boss very similar in the past, I ended up quitting and dished the dirt to hr when I left. My boss was demoted within a week of me leaving.

chubbymummy Tue 17-Jun-14 09:31:23

Thanks Confetti. I'm still fuming about it this morning. If DS is no better today then I have no intention of going into work tomorrow. I'll take it unpaid, that doesn't bother me but I won't be bullied into going in. To be honest I was on the verge of being signed off with stress because of this woman before DS got ill. It's different this time though, instead of being tearful and frightened of her as I usually am I actually feel angry and determined. I think I'll ring my union later to get some advice.

chubbymummy Tue 17-Jun-14 09:31:45

Thanks Confetti. I'm still fuming about it this morning. If DS is no better today then I have no intention of going into work tomorrow. I'll take it unpaid, that doesn't bother me but I won't be bullied into going in. To be honest I was on the verge of being signed off with stress because of this woman before DS got ill. It's different this time though, instead of being tearful and frightened of her as I usually am I actually feel angry and determined. I think I'll ring my union later to get some advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now