DD's teacher is standing in local elections as a UKIP candidate

(10 Posts)
Meatycankles Wed 14-May-14 17:02:19

Found out today, leaflets being delivered. I feel uncomfortable, does anyone have any advice?

Canus Wed 14-May-14 17:04:48

Just stick to the age old rules of polite conversation. Don't dicsuss money, politics, or religion.

Stick to SATs and whether Jane has fallen out with Violet this week.

SignoraStronza Wed 14-May-14 17:11:00

I'd be really worried about the standard of your dd's education of her teacher is that thick and racist. Does she have any children of immigrants in her class?

OddBoots Wed 14-May-14 17:14:32

Ugg, I'd feel uncomfortable too but I'm not sure what could be done about it. Will your dd change class in September?

5madthings Wed 14-May-14 17:17:38

I would be hugely uncomfortable about this!

Bloody hell.

Not sure if you can do anything, I guess it's her right to do this but I would be very concerned.

ravenAK Wed 14-May-14 17:18:09

I'd imagine she's popular in the staffroom...hmm.

Having said that, they're a legal political party. Teachers have a right to a life outside of work...

I'd be uncomfortable too - anyone I knew socially who was standing as a UKIP candidate would be dumped immediately, & anyone I did business with, I'd find someone else - but you can hardly shun your dc's teacher.

Here's her end of term pressie, though...grin

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=835547623139408&set=a.815679831792854.1073741828.814966608530843&type=1&theater

Meatycankles Wed 14-May-14 17:47:32

Thanks, yes dd will change forms in Sept, so will be able to distance ourselves, although the teacher will still teach dd some lessons. The class has does have some children of immigrants, and some children with SEN too. Including my dd.
I know teachers are entitled to a private life, but it still makes me very uncomfortable.

ThePartyArtist Fri 16-May-14 15:11:41

I think it is inappropriate for a teacher to do this (for any political party but particularly UKIP) and you should voice your concerns to the school. Is it definitely the same person? Not just same name?

SpottieDottie Sat 24-May-14 18:22:03

No reason why she can't do this according to the electoral commission:

If you are a teacher (or are a non-teaching member of staff) at a school or other educational institution maintained or assisted by a county council, you may be able to stand at elections to the district council provided you meet the qualifications and are not otherwise disqualified.

feathermucker Tue 27-May-14 18:43:44

I'd lose respect for the teacher and question, with the strong views put out by the party, whether they were capable of showing compassion if it was nevessary......say to an immigrant child. Or able to teach subjects without imposing their own views.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now