should i phone the police? or someone?

(19 Posts)
mspmsp Sat 10-May-14 23:48:39

I'm currently living in temporary accommodation with my 9 month old DS, yesterday they changed a guy who was living here's locks ad he'd not paid the rent.. So he kicked the door down in order to get his belongings.
So from outside I noticed he left the window open so figure I should go in and shut it and I came a cross a prison discharge sheet he'd left on the floor, this kind of got me worried as I'm living with two men atm (well one now) on my own so i massively (wrongly) invaded his privacy and had a look around what he'd left. So what hes left is blatent evidence that he is selling drugs. A lot of new baggies, sheets of paper with names and who owes him what etc. There's also a knife by the backdoor, a knife behind the tv in the communal living room and just knives randomly placed all over this house basically.
The things im worried about are
1) why the knives? If hes a drug dealer (which he obviously is) then who wad he worried about coming here so much he needed knives everywhere?
2) they only changed the lock to his room, not the front door lock so he still has access to the property, although not my room. (but i do need to use the other areas) he has nowhere to go, and is staying st a friend or atleast that's what he said, so there's every chance he might just come back.

So, do i phone the police and inform them what I've found? Or the lady who owns this property (she gave a 24hr number) or even social services because they atleast would be someone who will listen when i say im worried about my son being here and would make sure that he is safe?
I'm worried about calling the police because i dont know anyone from the area and im not sure pissing off drug dealers is a safe thing to do.
Or am i over reacting? He was obviously a drug dealer but he doesn't technically live here anymore and hasn't been here since yesterday afternoon. He doesn't seem like a violent person but then again i didn't think he was a drug dealer either.

PrincessOfChina Sat 10-May-14 23:53:46

Yes. Call the Police, pack your bags and insist on being taken to a place of safety if you do not have one available to you.

YouAreMyRain Sat 10-May-14 23:53:57

Open the window again, then ring the police and say you can hear noises/people in there. Don't admit to going in there, (it's trespass) let the police come and "check/secure" the property and all will hopefully be discovered.

Yes, phone the police. And emergency social work - there's duty SW 24/7.
How awful for you.
Hoe you are ok.

avianaz Sat 10-May-14 23:59:26

The fact he's a drug dealer doesn't say much about him, a lot of nice dealers, but it's the knives everywhere that would make me nervous.

If you're really feeling unsafe you could report that you heard noises of someone breaking the door? You can't say anything about the drugs, as that would implicate yourself.

YouAreMyRain Sun 11-May-14 00:00:05

I don't think the emergency duty social workers will be interested unless there is a child at immediate risk of harm.

Neither the OP or her child have been harmed or threatened and the OP only felt unsafe after she had seen the knives and paraphernalia.

MumsyFoxy Sun 11-May-14 00:01:05

Why are some suggesting you should lie to the police?

mspmsp Sun 11-May-14 00:01:14

Is it trespass if the doors open/the locks broken and he doesn't live there anymore? Its a shared house. I kind of don't want to lie to the police cause I looked through the doors and things so if they want to use the drug stuff as evidence they'd need to know that? Don't want to get in trouble

mspmsp Sun 11-May-14 00:01:15

Is it trespass if the doors open/the locks broken and he doesn't live there anymore? Its a shared house. I kind of don't want to lie to the police cause I looked through the doors and things so if they want to use the drug stuff as evidence they'd need to know that? Don't want to get in trouble

Well, I don't think that the OP feels she and her baby are at a 'place of safety' now that she has found what she has found.

And no, I would not lie to the police.

mspmsp Sun 11-May-14 00:03:25

I did feel unsafe before this, phoned the council and they said they'd move me today but they didn't

mspmsp Sun 11-May-14 00:03:25

I did feel unsafe before this, phoned the council and they said they'd move me today but they didn't

KatieKaye Sun 11-May-14 00:04:15

I think a baby living in a place with drugs/drug dealer would be classed as at risk. I would hope so anyway.
Drug dealers being "nice"? Really? I suppose they might help old ladies across the road and give up their seats on the tube to pregnant women, but "nice" and "drug dealing" are generally incompatible.

Phone the police but be totally honest with them. You should also contact emergency social services if the police don't do that for you. I wouldn't feel safe staying there another night especially with a baby. They should be able to get you emergency accommodation.

avianaz Sun 11-May-14 00:13:45

"Drug dealers being "nice"? Really? I suppose they might help old ladies across the road and give up their seats on the tube to pregnant women, but "nice" and "drug dealing" are generally incompatible."

Really? Why?

KatieKaye Sun 11-May-14 07:53:53

Because drug dealers deal in death. I would have thought that was obvious.
Also, there is the connection between drugs and organised crime and with terrorism.

You should call the police and social services.
I wouldn't lie to them. I don't think you did anything wrong.
It certainly isn't safe for your baby. What if he crawls and finds another knife, needle, pill etc in a shared area.
They should make you a priority to move ASAP.
I hope they place you somewhere safe and soon.

PleaseJustShootMeNow Sun 11-May-14 23:33:16

Don't lie to the police, you don't need too. At worst it's trespass which is a civil matter not a police matter.

Yes, police not interested in civil matters. The common sign of 'Trespassers will be prosecuted' is wrong, you can't be prosecuted for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now