A few years ago, I bought a product from eBay.

(21 Posts)
OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 00:23:38

Essentially, adult bootees. They're made from fleece and suit my lifestyle perfectly; I hate wearing shoes indoors and they keep my feet warm, and can double as socks. The first pair I bought were so brilliant, I bought another four. (Which were actually of inferior quality to the first pair, but I didn't notice at first.)

Now, they're all starting to wear out, but the eBay company seems to have gone bust, so I can't buy more. Some of the seams are going, one pair has worn through... I'm not a sewing-person, but the bootees are very simple, with 4 parts. Even I could make them, for myself, handstitching; would it be very wrong to deconstruct the most worn-out pair, in order to make more for myself?

(This would most deffo not be something I would sell, I have Repetetive Strain Injury in my wrists so couldn't make them for others)

Kormachameleon Fri 09-May-14 00:28:52

Eh ? Am I missing something ?

You want to deconstruct something that you own in order to make more ? Yourself ? In your own time ? At your own cost ?

Yes I would think that is fine hmm

puffylovett Fri 09-May-14 00:32:32

I would deconstruct and make some myself. First though, have you tried looking at welly socks or warmers on eBay?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 00:32:41

Lol, you're probably not missing anything, and yes, that's what I want to do. But I'm wondering if I'm somehow "abusing" someone else's idea, intellectual property if you like?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 00:34:41

I haven't looked at welly socks, I love this product so much I want to repilcate them. blush But I don't want to be ripping off anyone else.

MirandaWest Fri 09-May-14 00:48:46

If it's for you and you're not trying to sell it then there's no problem at all smile

BustleInYourHedgerow Fri 09-May-14 00:55:11

If it's for your own personal use and not financial gain then I don't see a problem. And java a Google for winter surf booties, you might find some ��

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 01:02:41

I'm glad you think that, Miranda. I would not be making them for anyone other than myself, in all honesty, I quite simply couldn't. But I'd put the pain in for myself, because I love them so much.

At the same time, I don't want be to ripping off anyone else. But if they're not selling any more...? (Company was called something like the dogsbollox, and I had the impression the bootees were using cut-off material from the primary business of providing bedding/clothing for pets.)

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 01:06:26

Wow, Bustle, I did a swift google for "winter surf booties", I don't want to pay £20-£50 a pair! Was more thinking I could buy a reasonable quality fleece blanket for £5 or so, and cut and stitch to suit.

Kormachameleon Fri 09-May-14 01:13:18

Honestly it's fine. Who will know ? Or care

Make your boots, keep your tootsies warm and stop worrying x

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 01:17:57

True, no-one will know or care, and no-one will be harmed (since I can't buy them any more.)

Sorry for the overthinking, I may be becoming menopausal. confused

But many, many thanks for the responses. smile

Kormachameleon Sun 11-May-14 00:30:13

Oh bless you. Relax, enjoy having snuggle feet. Don't be sorry x

OldLadyKnowsSomething Sun 11-May-14 00:31:12

Thanks, Korma. smile

Kormachameleon Sun 11-May-14 00:37:02

No problem. Have you started making them yet ?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Wed 14-May-14 02:57:50

No, (ace procrastinator) but I'll start deconstructing the most worn out pair in the morning. They actually have holes in... Then need to source an inexpensive but decent quality fleece fabric/supermarket blanket to start cutting and stitching.

<must remember I want deeper cuffs and a double sole, like the first pair>

ThaneOfScunthorpe Wed 14-May-14 03:07:08

Reported. And I've called the police. You're going down, lady.

HexBramble Wed 14-May-14 03:37:47

grin

OldLadyKnowsSomething Wed 14-May-14 03:40:28

Pmsl, had a brief moment looking at "threads I'm on" where I thought, "wrong thread, surely?" but now get the humour. Thank you, yes, I've been overthinking. grin

This is the sweetest thread I've read in ages. Bless you, OldLadyKnowsSomething. grin

Kormachameleon Wed 14-May-14 11:42:15

I know awesome, I just want to give old lady a hug and wrap her in blanket all snug grin

It's a shame more us of weren't alike

OldLadyKnowsSomething Wed 14-May-14 16:19:51

blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now