A few years ago, I bought a product from eBay.

(21 Posts)
OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 00:23:38

Essentially, adult bootees. They're made from fleece and suit my lifestyle perfectly; I hate wearing shoes indoors and they keep my feet warm, and can double as socks. The first pair I bought were so brilliant, I bought another four. (Which were actually of inferior quality to the first pair, but I didn't notice at first.)

Now, they're all starting to wear out, but the eBay company seems to have gone bust, so I can't buy more. Some of the seams are going, one pair has worn through... I'm not a sewing-person, but the bootees are very simple, with 4 parts. Even I could make them, for myself, handstitching; would it be very wrong to deconstruct the most worn-out pair, in order to make more for myself?

(This would most deffo not be something I would sell, I have Repetetive Strain Injury in my wrists so couldn't make them for others)

Eh ? Am I missing something ?

You want to deconstruct something that you own in order to make more ? Yourself ? In your own time ? At your own cost ?

Yes I would think that is fine hmm

puffylovett Fri 09-May-14 00:32:32

I would deconstruct and make some myself. First though, have you tried looking at welly socks or warmers on eBay?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 00:32:41

Lol, you're probably not missing anything, and yes, that's what I want to do. But I'm wondering if I'm somehow "abusing" someone else's idea, intellectual property if you like?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 00:34:41

I haven't looked at welly socks, I love this product so much I want to repilcate them. blush But I don't want to be ripping off anyone else.

MirandaWest Fri 09-May-14 00:48:46

If it's for you and you're not trying to sell it then there's no problem at all smile

BustleInYourHedgerow Fri 09-May-14 00:55:11

If it's for your own personal use and not financial gain then I don't see a problem. And java a Google for winter surf booties, you might find some ��

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 01:02:41

I'm glad you think that, Miranda. I would not be making them for anyone other than myself, in all honesty, I quite simply couldn't. But I'd put the pain in for myself, because I love them so much.

At the same time, I don't want be to ripping off anyone else. But if they're not selling any more...? (Company was called something like the dogsbollox, and I had the impression the bootees were using cut-off material from the primary business of providing bedding/clothing for pets.)

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 01:06:26

Wow, Bustle, I did a swift google for "winter surf booties", I don't want to pay £20-£50 a pair! Was more thinking I could buy a reasonable quality fleece blanket for £5 or so, and cut and stitch to suit.

Honestly it's fine. Who will know ? Or care

Make your boots, keep your tootsies warm and stop worrying x

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 09-May-14 01:17:57

True, no-one will know or care, and no-one will be harmed (since I can't buy them any more.)

Sorry for the overthinking, I may be becoming menopausal. confused

But many, many thanks for the responses. smile

Oh bless you. Relax, enjoy having snuggle feet. Don't be sorry x

OldLadyKnowsSomething Sun 11-May-14 00:31:12

Thanks, Korma. smile

No problem. Have you started making them yet ?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Wed 14-May-14 02:57:50

No, (ace procrastinator) but I'll start deconstructing the most worn out pair in the morning. They actually have holes in... Then need to source an inexpensive but decent quality fleece fabric/supermarket blanket to start cutting and stitching.

<must remember I want deeper cuffs and a double sole, like the first pair>

ThaneOfScunthorpe Wed 14-May-14 03:07:08

Reported. And I've called the police. You're going down, lady.

HexBramble Wed 14-May-14 03:37:47

grin

OldLadyKnowsSomething Wed 14-May-14 03:40:28

Pmsl, had a brief moment looking at "threads I'm on" where I thought, "wrong thread, surely?" but now get the humour. Thank you, yes, I've been overthinking. grin

This is the sweetest thread I've read in ages. Bless you, OldLadyKnowsSomething. grin

I know awesome, I just want to give old lady a hug and wrap her in blanket all snug grin

It's a shame more us of weren't alike

OldLadyKnowsSomething Wed 14-May-14 16:19:51

blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now