At what temp does non-bio and bio powder work? How to remove stains? :(

(11 Posts)
emziepiex3 Sun 27-Apr-14 14:35:32

Hello so this summer a few of my baby cousins will be coming to stay with me and my family uses non-bio washing powder because my mom thinks it's less damaging to the skin, but I did some research online and it says that bio seems to remove bacteria and stains better.

We wash our clothes with non-bio at 30 degrees Celsius which is 86 degrees Fahrenheit for all those US citizens lol Anyways I'm really concerned because I wish to continue using non-bio powder but I read online that it only works with really hot water like over 40 degrees (104 Fahrenheit) so what I'm asking is all this time that we've been washing our clothes with non-bio powder at 30 degrees Celsius has it been working or is it like we haven't added any powder in? I read somewhere that new non-bio formulas supposedly work at even 15 degrees Celsius (59 Fahrenheit) but do they work as well and what if not all non-bio powders out there have new formulas especially the country I am currently residing in...not sure if these have new formulas...

My main questions is which powder is better to use for little kids and stains and should something else be used to remove stains? Another product? And at what temperature ranges do non-bio and bio powders work best? Thanks! :D

emziepiex3 Sun 27-Apr-14 14:37:20

Sorry if there are any typos I'm not a fluent English speaker much sad

Nevercan Sun 27-Apr-14 17:22:45

I use non bio and add a scoop of vanish to the wash which seems to do the trick in most cases.

emziepiex3 Mon 28-Apr-14 03:22:03

At what temperature and with what wash powder do you wash your clothes? Mainly what do you feel like is the ideal temp range for washing clothes for bio and non-bio powders? :D

But nevercan, Vanish is a mix of bleach, enzymes and surfactants.... I imagine you're using non bio powder to avoid biological enzymes but you're adding them back in with vanish....

If you use non bio, you'll need a higher temperature wash to get rid of stains. Bio products work best at lower temperatures.

emziepiex3 Mon 28-Apr-14 17:10:06

Would non bio work at 30 degrees?

I think you'd probably be best talking to the babies parents about whether they have any strong preference - I always use (non-bio) Surcare which is suitable for sensitive skin, but soak things in Biotex if I need to sort out a stain. They then get a thorough wash with the Surcare which seems to be enough to remove anything that might cause a reaction.

But individual parents may have strong feelings the other way, and always use bio so the clothes are less likely to have stains, if their children's skin isn't prone to reacting to things in cleaning products.

tobysmum77 Thu 01-May-14 21:28:36

I always use non bio. If I think a load is nasty I just wash it at 60 (no idea what that is in F!). You are overthinking things methinks. ...

emziepiex3 Fri 02-May-14 20:51:58

Yeah sorry about that I really didn't think to overthink things :/ I just used to wash all my clothes with non-bio at 30 degrees but wasn't sure if the temp was high enough for it work and I put F because I thought this was an American forum but it seems that it's a British one lol xD sorry bout that and thanks for all the replies smile

Mintyy Fri 02-May-14 20:59:09

Biological powder works best in warm water (that is 40 degrees) because the enzymes which digest the stains are destroyed by much higher heat.

If you have dirty clothes (ie. vomity or pooey things or things stained with a lot of spilled food) that you want to wash in non bio, the best thing to do is to soak them in a bucket of hand-hot water with a half scoop of bio powder dissolved in, for 4 hours. Then rinse in the machine. Then wash with non bio powder at 40 degrees.

Personally, I would only use a temp as low as 30 degrees for silks or handwash items. The hotter the better as far as I'm concerned.

emziepiex3 Sun 11-May-14 12:56:25

Mintyy - thanks I feel like you gave the best reply so far smile I will def consider this as my cousins can get messy xD and I will be alone with them for a few weeks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now